Becca's Reviews > Crisis on Infinite Earths

Crisis on Infinite Earths by Marv Wolfman

Feb 15, 10

bookshelves: favourite-books, graphic-novels
Read in February, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I read this graphic novel when I was first getting into the DCU last year. I simply love it. From an aesthetic point of view, George Pérez's art sold this graphic novel to me alone; thanks to his beautiful grasp of facial expressions and body stances, he was the perfect illustrator for the series. His art really brought home just how the characters were feeling. (Especially Pariah.) Alex Ross's revamp of the cover image is inspiring, and can be seen better in his "Mythology" book.

Wolfman's writing...eh, okay, so it CAN be very melodramatic. But when you're confronted with a dude who's eating universes for the hell of it, the concept of melodrama really just goes out of the window. Personally I think the writing was fine and suited the occasion. He got the relationships between the characters down pat.

The beef most people seem to have with COIE is that most of the stuff it set out to do has been reversed in the past twenty years or so, thus making the entire story arc obsolete. But it's unfair to judge the story by what happens next. In its own right, and its own time, COIE is an absolute gem. Recommended - if, er, you have some kind of DC encyclopedia to go along with it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crisis on Infinite Earths.