Sarah's Reviews > The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2008: Twenty-First Annual Collection

The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2008 by Ellen Datlow

642041
Feb 16, 10

bookshelves: anthologies, fantasy, short-stories
Read from February 15 to 16, 2010

I've been reading the Year's Best Fantasy & Horror for most of its run, always devouring the essays at the beginning, then carefully skipping or skimming the stories introduced by Ellen Datlow, and reading those edited by (then) Terri Windling and (now) Kelly Link and Gavin J. Grant. I really can't read horror, but I find myself peeking in. Surely the best horror is worth reading, right? It's a delicate balance. A single story in one of these anthologies when I was a teenager is responsible for the fact that I can't watch even the most comedic zombie movies without nightmares.
In any case, there are several excellent stories in this collection. The standouts for me are "The Merchant & The Alchemist's Gate" by Ted Chiang (also available as an e-book), Jeffrey Ford's haunting "The Drowned Life", Holly Black's "A Reversal of Fortune", and Veronica Schanoes' Nancy Spungen-inspired fairy tale "Rats".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2008.