oliviasbooks's Reviews > Forest Born

Forest Born by Shannon Hale

Feb 15, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult-fiction, low-expectations, unfinished, unfinished-2011

I have to say it: In my personal opinion Shannon Hale is a one-hit-wonder. I truely loved every page of 'Goose Girl', but every other book - with the exception of the middle-grade-targeted 'Princess Academy' maybe - turned out to call for heavy ploughing machinery to get me through. I barely stayed focussed reading 'A Book of Thousand Days', gave up on 'Enna Burning', skipped 'River Secrets' because I didn't own it yet and now abandoned 'Forest Born' around page 88.
There are fairytale elements in the Bayern quartet which draw the plot to a rather otherworldly plane, yes, but do the heroines have to be so strange and unpredictable that I cannot fathom what they feel or might do AT ALL? Honestly, I have the impression of reading a space adventure featuring a humanoid-looking race that ticks completely differently from us inside. To me it is extremely exhausting. I am only willing to try another Hale novel in the future if it doesn't cost me anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forest Born.

Miss Bookiverse Sadly, I have to agree. I finished all my Hale books but except for The Goose Girl they all bored me :/
River Secrets was slightly better than Enna Burning but if I didn't own it already I probably wouldn't read Forest Born... I still want to try Princess Academy though, my sister quite liked it.

oliviasbooks Your sister is right: P.A. was not boring. I din't love it, though.
As for the rest of the books: Meh...

oliviasbooks Apropos: Forest Born is available for 1:1-swapping.

message 4: by Janina (new)

Janina Wow, Olivia, you are really burning through your books at the moment. Hope the next one won't be a disappointment again! :)

oliviasbooks Well, the single advantage from lying in bed doing nothing but wheezing, napping and reading.

Mary Anne Just another view on this book. I've loved all of Shannon Hale's young adult novels. Forest Born was harder to get through than the others but mostly because I indentified withteh character a little too closely so it just seems so odd to me that you think the caharacters seems non-human. I liked Princess
Academy but if I were ranking her books it would come last. Of the Bayern books though I think River Secrets is my favorite, too bad you skipped it.

oliviasbooks There is always the possibility to miss a gem. That is perfectly right. But I have decided now not to try a Hale again. Since so many new publications flood the market, I have to be selective and weed out authors who do not meet my taste.

message 8: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey I was debating whether to attempt River Secrets and Forest Born. Maybe I won't now.

I really enjoyed Book of a Thousand Days though. The first time through a few years ago I didn't know what to make of it, but that **spoiler alert** scene where she's fighting a werewolf in a field in winter naked was pretty hard to forget, and I felt compelled to revisit it and was favorably impressed this time.

message 9: by Lindsey (new)

oliviasbooks Yes, it's strange which books leave an impression on a certain mind and which don't. I remember almost nothing now about "Book of a Thousand Days", apart from - I think they were - mice in the tower?

message 11: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Yeah rats actually. They were real story savers, otherwise we really would have had to read about seven years in a windowless tower.