Zeek's Reviews > Boneshaker

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Apr 13, 10

bookshelves: steampunk, urban-fantasy, chick-fantasy, fantasy-modern, post-apocolyptic
Read from March 31 to April 13, 2010

This one was, so many times, almost a dnf for me. It took the author far too long to engage the audience as her characters wandered around meeting more and more characters, all the while tryinig to find others.

But I liked the ending, and the promise of how it might end is what kept me reading.

Briar Blue has a big secret- oh not that her husband and his dreaded machine known as the Boneshaker set off an explosion that caused a blight to occur which turns people into Zombies, whilst extending the American Civil War- everyone knows that. No, her secret is wrapped up in far more guilt and shame concerning her late husband. Because of this, she's told her son Ezekiel nothing of his father and his past. To clear his name, Zeke decides to go into the very heart of the blight- and into the heart of danger- and Briar must follow him and bring him out before he dies any number of deaths... not the least of which is getting turned into a Zombie.

A little bit steampunk, a smidge of Mad Max, a whole heap of apocalyptic alternate reality and you get Boneshaker.

(btw, for you romance readers- there's nil in this one. In the end, it's the boring cataloging of her world that killed it for me. Hopefully by the next book it'll be more about the story.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boneshaker.

03/31/2010 page 35
04/06/2010 page 221
53.13% "Despite the setting, which I normally love- this book is boring as shi... well you get the idea."
04/12/2010 page 361
86.78% "so close to the end I can taste it- why I didn't give up on it, I'll never no, but's beginning to feel like torture now."
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Barks & Bites Hmmm, I didn't realize she was writing steampunk now. Seems to be the new rage.

message 2: by Zeek (last edited Apr 15, 2010 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zeek well I love steampunk and the thot of it crossbreeding with romance gets me giddy- but so far I haven't read any that suits me. But I hear Soulless is pretty good- will have to check it out.

Barks & Bites I loved her "Four and Twenty Blackbirds" so will probably give this one a try. I try to keep up on author's but they're always slipping by me with new books.

Zeek hmmm I will have to look into that one!