Jodi's Reviews > The Longest Trip Home: A Memoir

Feb 15, 2010

bookshelves: memoirs
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from February 15 to 17, 2010 , read count: 1

Wow! Grogan can make me laugh, and cry buckets all in one book. He managed to do that to me in "Marley and Me" and now in this book. I was prepared for the laughs with both books but not the tears. "Marley" I read after my dog died and it was such a good book during that time - healing and theraputic. I did not expect the tears though in this book.......I guess I should have given the way it started. I could feel deeply all the feelings Grogan did because like him, I watched my father weaken and die from cancer - it is truly a horrible thing to see one's parent weaken to the point they become bed-ridden. Even though I knew my father was in a better place free from his pain and failing body, I still felt such an ache after he left us - still do - Haven't felt that ache for awhile but Grogan definitely brought those feelings to the surface. Now, don't get me wrong, this book is not depressing, but is so wonderfully written that the reader can relate to the author and his feelings.

Aside from the loss of our fathers, I could also relate to Grogan's Catholic guilt! Too funny!!! I so loved Grogan's first confession - priceless!

Finally, I loved the advice Grogan got from his therapist - "I was who I was, and ......it was now up to my parents to accept their son, or not, for the man he had become." Amen! Beautifully put!

Superbly written!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Longest Trip Home.