Mike's Reviews > The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins

Mar 08, 10

bookshelves: evolution, science
Read in February, 2010

Another tour-de-force from Dawkins. He has touched on many of these topics in other books - sometimes with much more clarity and thoroughness - but the main thrust of this book is that even without a single fossil, the evidence for evolution is as plain as day. It is written in the DNA and protein sequences of all creatures, in the homology of our structures, in the geographic distribution of animals and plants. It is obvious in the ridiculous nature of many of our bodily features - our poorly designed knees and back, our windpipe so perilously close to our food tube - and we can watch evolution happen, right before our very eyes.

He is a little less cleanly expository in this book than in some others, as if he is a little too close to the subject himself and can't quite make that last step away from it before he starts explaining. This book would still be great for people who have some science background.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest Show on Earth.