Aimee's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Oh. My. Goodness. Where do I start? First off, this is a very ambitious read. It's very intimidating, not only in it's length, but in it's content. Frankly, I'm plum worn out. I mean emotionally and spiritually exhausted after reading this book. And I'm sitting here now, looking back, wondering where those 800+ pages went. Because I swear I just started this book and now it's over. Even when SO much has happened in between. And I'm here craving more, even knowing I'm too exhausted to even try to take another one of these on! I would say it left me speechless, except for the fact that I can't stop rambling on about it.

Now, as far as a synopsis, I don't think I could even come close to doing it justice, so I won't even try. I'll just describe what grabbed me most.....

It was written in 1st person from Claire Randall's POV. Many people think you lose something by restricting yourself to the one POV. But I think it added to this particular book. Not to mention that there are some parts where I don't think I could handle Jamie's POV. It's a considerably dark story and there are some very disturbing events that take place. It can be rather disconcerting. And to think that experiencing that through HIS eyes would be too much, I think.

There are a few slow parts throughout to journey, but it is filled with some great detail and imagery. It's a lot of work taking it all in. But it's worth it. You can almost picture the highland countryside with every minute detail. And everything word she wrote seems to be to a purpose, even you don't realize it at the time. There is no event that doesn't lend to the progression of the plot.

Emotionally, it was heart-warming and soul-wrenching by turns. At one point I'm snuggled up with the warm fuzzies, feeling the tenderness that Claire and Jamie have for one another. And then at others, you might have rent my soul from my very being and it would have the same effect. There is a conversation toward the end between them that may as well have ripped my heart out. I had to put the book down and walk away for a few hours to try to recover from the emotional tide that nearly swept me under. And even then, I was haunted by the revelations that were made. At that point, I didn't know how to feel. Or who I pittied more? Was it Jamie, for what he's been through? Or Claire for her silent suffering? OR the reader for having to experience it right alongside them? Either way, tears were inevitable.

Luckily, a few things were able to be smoothed over a bit, if not resolved toward the end. And it ended with a bit of hope. And that, my friends, is what I would call one hell of a ride! And one that I plan to continue. Dragonfly in Amber will soon be in my collection. But, I have a feeling I will need to read something light and fluffy to bring me down from this emotional rollercoaster.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

Quotes Aimee Liked

Diana Gabaldon
“A hedgehog? And just how does a hedgehog make love?" he demanded.

No, I thought. I won't. I will not. But I did. "Very carefully," I replied, giggling helplessly. So now we know just how old that one is, I thought. ”
Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Diana Gabaldon
“I wept bitterly, surrendering momentarily to my fear and heartbroken confusion, but slowly I began to quiet a bit, as Jamie stroked my neck and back, offering me the comfort of his broad, warm chest. My sobs lessened and I began to calm myself, leaning tiredly into the curve of his shoulder. No wonder he was so good with horses, I thought blearily, feeling his fingers rubbing gently behind my ears, listening to the soothing, incomprehensible speech. If I were a horse, I'd let him ride me anywhere.”
Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

03/16/2010 page 184
29.35% "I'm loving her writing style. The imagery is amazing! I want to go to the highlands! And I'm always game for a good history lesson!"
03/16/2010 page 277
44.18% "Ok, slowing down a bit. But still enjoyable. Can I just say that I would LOVE to deck Capt. Randall!!" 3 comments
03/17/2010 page 400
63.8% "HA! Poor little Hamish. I almost want to blush for him!"
03/17/2010 page 476
75.92% "EEEK! That was a little intense!"
03/17/2010 page 585
93.3% "Moving right along! I'm really curious as to where this is headed." 1 comment

Shawna Wonderful review, Aimee! I've had this one sitting on my nightstand (borrowed from a friend) for a while now. Sounds like I really need to move it up the TBR!

Aimee Thanks, Shawna. I hope it's a great a read for you!

Beanbag Love Awesome review, Aimee. You described the first-time Outlander reader's experience perfectly.

You're probably right that you're not ready to read Dragonfly right away. But you'll read it. Heck, you have years to get through all of them before the next one comes out. Do yourself a favor and space them out -- it'll help with the waiting. :D

Aimee Thanks, Bean. It was definately intense and I'll be taking a break from it for at lesat a few books. But why will it be YEARS for the next one to come out?

message 5: by Julianna (last edited Mar 18, 2010 03:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julianna This was a really lovely review, Aimee. Ditto on what BB said. Reading your review brought back memories of how I felt both times I read Outlander.

As to the years until the next one: Outlander first came out in the early 90s and at that time, DG was only taking about a year between releases. Now that has stretched to about 4 years, and since Echo just came out last year, it will be a long wait for the next one.

Shawna, you should definitely read this one. It's so worth it.

Miss Kim I loved it too! Great review. I read in December, and am just now thinking about picking up the second one.

Aimee Thanks, Julie! I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up re-reading this one in the future. I'm sure I'll pick up many details I missed this time around.

I'll never understand why some authors feel the need to torture their readers like that and drag out their releases. I understand it takes a while to write a good book. But the selfish reader in me still balks at the wait.

Aimee Thanks, Kim! I doubt I'll be able to put of the next one for very long. Once I fall in love with a set of characters I can't stay away. Although, in this case, I might have to try a little harder to drag it out.