Jeff Yoak's Reviews > Starship Troopers

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Nov 18, 14

bookshelves: audio-collection, read-in-2008, read-in-2006, read-in-2004, read-in-2002, read-in-2010, read-in-2012, read-in-2014
Read from November 12 to 16, 2014, read count: 7

Starship Troopers is Heinlein's projection of a high-tech future military. It draws from his own military experience, his uncanny ability to project advances in technology and contemplate what cultural and interpersonal changes will follow and as always his benevolent optimism about a better world not only from what we have today, but even what he had in his time.

I've read and reread this one. It's a favorite. I love following the life of this future soldier through training and his ultimate battles, both in the field and in finding himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starship Troopers.

11/12 marked as: currently-reading
11/18 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont Jeff: You amaze me, six times?

Jeff Yoak Cathy, it is a favorite. It has been sitting on my phone for a long time now, and recently I was reading a historical novel that is quite good and that I like a lot when I found myself sufficiently worked up about work that I couldn't actually concentrate on reading. I kept backing up because I realized I wasn't processing things. I switched to this book because it is literary comfort food for me. I knew that I'd be absorbed by it completely, and I am. I'll return to Genghis: Lords of the Bow when I finish Starship Troopers, and now that I've got the work thing in better shape, I know I'll be able to enjoy finishing that.

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont Great idea, so thanks. When I find myself not concentrating, re-reading because of it, I usually just muddle through. Should do like you did, put it down to finish later and pick up something else. God knows I have enought NatGeos and Smithsonians around, only partially read.

Mary JL I read a comment by Heinlein. As you know, the book is quite controversial. In this future society, you must do some service---non military options are avaialabe--before you can vote.

Heinlein commented that many persons were annoyed at him for suggesting you should have any qualifications for voting. His comments in the book on duty vs responsibility are well worth a discussion.

And I have read it at lwast four times myself--it is one of Heinlein's major works.

Jeff Yoak Mary JL -- The political ideas in this one are interesting, but I find the ones in Moon downright captivating!

Jeff Carman Hurray! Someone else that realizes that Heinlein's books are always worth multiple reads because if you use your mind and pay attention you will always find something new or a perspective you didn't consider on a previous reading! I have read this one 5 times so far. 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' is the only one that beats that record with 6 reads!