Lauren's Reviews > Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business

Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business by Barbara Park

F 50x66
Feb 14, 2010

Read in February, 2010

I found this book to be interesting and hilarious. Junie B. Jones was excited to hear that her parent's had a surprise for her only to find out that her Mother was having a baby. For me it was interesting to read about how Junie B. Jones reacted. This book would be helpful for children who are expecting a sibling, as they would be able to relate to Junie B. Jones. As the youngest in my family I have not had to deal with a situation like this, and never understood why other children reacted this way when their parent's were having a baby.

I also found it to be hilarious by how Junie B. Jones actually thought that her new brother was a Monkey. In reading this book I am now more aware of phrases that I use around children as they will probably only understand the literal meaning. Even though this story is written from the perspective of a kindergartner, I do feel that some of the terminology may be inappropriate. For example, Junie B. Jones at one point calls her grandmother by her first name, and calls other children names such as fat. By using this in the story, I feel that children may think that calling people names is acceptable when it's not. I know children will call each other names, but I do not think that this book should encourage it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business.

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I agree with Lauren's comment about the use of name calling in the book. I feel that since this book is written from the perspective of a second grader students that are that age could relate to either being called names or being the one to do the name calling. I think that this would bring attention to the seriousness of name calling and how it can hurt other people's feelings. I also agree with what she said about the way adults phrase certain things. I never usually think about the fact that certain things I say could be taken in a different way. As a teacher I need to be aware of these things so I can help prevent confusion in my classroom.

message 2: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Chavis I agree with Lauren that this book makes me think about things I say that can be taken differently. As a teacher, I will have to make sue not to use phrases with double meanings with very young children, in order to avoid the confusion that Junie B and her classmates dealt with as a result of her grandmother's comment.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Hincke I definitely agree with the humor of this book, it was cute to read even at my age. It just goes to show how literal little kids can be and I think children Junie's age and even older would enjoy reading about her. I loved Junie's reactions as well and I as well do not know what it's like to have a new member join the family because I'm the youngest too. I kind of see how older siblings that are expecting a new brother or sister react the way they do because they are so used to being the baby of the family and having all the attention from their parents when now, they have to share that attention.

I see what you mean about the phrases as well. The story is written in the perspective of a kindergartner, which makes it easy for young readers, and you can see how phrases can be misinterpreted when you're that young. I think that this book teaches children about expecting a new sibling and that it's not really that bad.