Jay's Reviews > Extras

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

2419499
Feb 17, 10

bookshelves: apocalyptico, australian-authors, books-i-own, sci-fi, world-of-tomorrow, ya, my-lesbianism-let-me-show-you-it
Read from February 14 to 17, 2010

** spoiler alert ** One of my favourite things about the first three books were any mentions of the world outside Tally's. I didn't find Diego particularly interesting, beyond their political standing on Pretties and the like, but I did like seeing other cities. That's what I first found interesting when I started reading this book. Although it wasn't set in the Prettytime, as it's called, it does involve another city- another country, rather. I'm glad Westerfeld decided to take the leap and involve another country. Tally's world got boring after a while.

I couldn't find myself to like Aya. I felt her selfish and annoying. Even when her group could get killed, she constantly wanted to film. She wasn't subtle about it, either. She got caught out three times for having her hovercam flying about, trying to hide. It wasn't until the end that she realised maybe privacy is maybe a good thing, and other peoples business isn't necessarily her own. Even then she has to catch herself.

So what did I enjoy? I liked Moggle. Seriously, I thought it was cute. And I liked seeing Tally and Shay's lesbian romance still exist. Though I don't like Tally as a Special- she's a jackass. And Andrew's reappearance. I didn't mind the space story, either.

I like Westerfeld summed everything up, though. Even if it was meant to be a trilogy, it's nice to have a conclusion that fixes the loose ends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extras.

02/15/2010 page 104