Amanda's Reviews > Tuesdays With Morrie

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

Feb 14, 10

Read in February, 2010

I have never written a review like this before but this book truly inspired me.

So I just finished reading "Tuesdays With Morrie". What a wonderful book, I couldn't put it down! I cannot even imagine going through the last stages of my own life and being as brave (for lack of a better word in my head right now) as Morrie. He was filled with such happiness and joy in his own life. He had regrets but realized that it is ok as long as you can reconcile with yourself in the end. I'm not the type of person to find quotes in the literature I read. However, as I turned page after page through this book and submersed myself into the text I was reading I found myself getting out of bed in the middle of the night to find some post-its only to tag so many different paragraphs and pages that inspired me or had me think about things in my own life.

The idea of detaching oneself from emotions just baffled me. I myself fell in love and was heart broken in the end. I felt, and sometimes still feel, that I never want to experience such pain and heartache again. But Morrie says it best "If you hold back on the emotions - if you don't allow yourself to go through them - you can never get to being detached, you're too busy being afraid. You're afraid of the pain, you're afraid of the grief. You're afraid of the vulnerability that loving entails. But by throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing your self to dive right in, all the way, over your head even, you experience them fully and completely. You know what pain is. You know what love is. You know what grief is. And only then can you say, 'All right. I have experienced that emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now I need to detach from that emotion for a moment.'" Who would have thought it is ok to show emotions as long as one does not stay with that emotion for too long.

Another quote that I find so enlightening... "In the beginning of life, when we are infants, we need others to survive, right? And at the end of life, when you get like me, you need others to survive right?... But here's the secret: in between, we need others as well." This line in the book had me stop and think about everything I have in my life rather than anything I am "missing" in life. WHy should we focus on not having that special someone when truly many of us have multiple people in our lives who care for us and will be there for us in the end. Although Morrie does go on to say that everyone should find that love to marry. But why do we need to? I know that there are people who would take care of me later in life. Those that will be there for me always. While I hope to find my "true love" I still am blessed for those I have met in the past to years. I am only ashamed that I never saw them sitting right there in front of me until I read this book. Thank you for being there for me everyone! And, I hope for many more days spent with all of you and even more people to share my life with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesdays With Morrie.

Comments (showing 1-19)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Amanda "Well for one thing, the culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. We're teaching the wrong things. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, don't but it. Create your own. Most people can't do it. They're more unhappy than me - even in my current condition."

Amanda "So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. That is because they're chasing the wrong things. They way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

Amanda "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and let it come in."

Amanda "Learn how to die, and you learn how to live."

Amanda "It's very simple. As you grow, you learn more. If you stayed at twenty-two, you'd always be as ignorant as you were at twenty-two. Aging is not just decay, you know. It's growth. It's more than the negative that you're going to die, it's also the positive that you're going to die, and that you live a better life because of it."

On another note...

"The truth is, prt of me is every age. I'm a three-year-old, I'm a five-year-old, I'm a thirty-seven-year-old, I'm a fifty-year-old. I've been through all of them, and I know what it's like. I delight in being a child when it's appropriate to be a child. I delight in being a wise old man when it's appropriate to be a wise old man. Think of all I can be! I am every age, up to my own."

I like to think this quote fits me perfectly!

Amanda "... if you're trying to show off for people at the top, forget it. They will look down at you anyhow. And if you're trying to show off for people at the bottom, forget it. They will only envy you. Status will get you nowhere. Only an open heart will allow you to float equally between everyone."

Amanda I hope to be as inspiring to my students some day.
"Have you ever really had a teacher? One who saw you as a raw but precious thing, a jewel that, with wisdom, could be polished to a proud shine?"

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Well, well, well. Look who discovered Tuesdays with Morrie!!!! Guess who also loves that book?? ME!! I still remember quotes that I memorized from that book nearly 8 years ago. It inspired me to read poem from W. H. Auden, the author of Morrie's oft-repeated, "Love each other or perish." So much wisdom for young people embedded in this story. He truly lived his maxim, "When you're in bed, your dead." He was so full of life up to his last moments. He didn't only teach people how to die (which he said was one of his goals), but he taught us how to live.

My life changed in so many ways after reading this. It was inevitable. How do you think your life will change?

Amanda I know after reading it I look at things in a different light. He truly had it right. Although I can only hope to aspire to be a teacher like him. I think this book will stay with me for a very long time.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen Shank I'm really encouraged by your review. I love seeing a book affect someone in such a moving way.

Can I be the biggest dork and say that I saw the movie and that it was also very good. Yeah. I'm a dork.

Vina Arief this book is so full of reality that I can't even think of. This is my first mitch albom's book, that I read. Just about few pages, I realized how I like this book so much. Then, I continue, to read his books " for one more day" and " 5 people you meet in heaven" . they're good books too. But this one is amazing, I'm so touched by Morrie's life

Kristen I love your review, and I love that you loved this book as much as I did. I read some reviews that only gave it one-star and looked down upon it as "ridiculously sentimental" and the like. I feel bad for those people because obviously they missed the message in this book.

My favorite quote probably was when he reflected upon when Morrie was at a basketball game and the student section was chanting, "We're number one! We're number one!" And Morrie interrupted and asked, "What's wrong with being number two?" I loved that. It really just struck a cord with me.

Amanda Kristen wrote: "I love your review, and I love that you loved this book as much as I did. I read some reviews that only gave it one-star and looked down upon it as "ridiculously sentimental" and the like. I feel b..."

Kristen, I love that quote too. If you would like another very inspirational book to read that I would compare to Morrie's life check out A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller.
Amanda

message 6: by Rahul (new) - added it

Rahul Chandani Hi, this is Rahul from India...Plz mail it to me at rahulchandani2007@yahoo.com if possible..thnx..

Chris Kristen wrote: "I love your review, and I love that you loved this book as much as I did. I read some reviews that only gave it one-star and looked down upon it as "ridiculously sentimental" and the like. I feel b..."

I loved that part too... I also like the part that told of why Morrie chose teaching as his profession. It made me evaluate my choice of career.

Martha You said this beautifully!! I have post-it notes all over the place too!! This is the only book to ever move me like this.

Kanika well said amanda. this book was one of the greatest books i ever read . the message in it was really touching , however it was very shocking for me to see that people were giving it one star..... i was really happy to see that some people appreciate this book :)

Sudhir Mittal On this page I have been seeing others' comments with one or two stars and pathetic remarks made about the book. However, 'Tuesdays with Morrie' was one of the books which stirred me most in those days. In fact, I must say that because of such books I grew stronger to write down my heart as well.

I can't express my deep love better for the book, than by asking you to read 'See You God' as well. It's available on goodread.

Amanda Sudhir wrote: "On this page I have been seeing others' comments with one or two stars and pathetic remarks made about the book. However, 'Tuesdays with Morrie' was one of the books which stirred me most in those ..."

Thank you for your comment. It was and still is one of my favorite books. I will look into reading your book.