Jennie's Reviews > Suite Française

Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky

Mar 18, 10

Read from February 14 to March 17, 2010

The provenance behind this book is very interesting. Irene Nemirovsky was living in France during WWII at the time she wrote this book. She was murdered at a Auschwitz in 1942 and this book was not published until 1998.

It's really two stories of the same time, Tempête en juin is about a number of different families fleeing Paris before the German occupation. The second, Dolce is about a small French village being occupied by a regiment of German soldiers.

What I think Nemirovsky accomplished the best is finding the tiny moments in something as huge and terrible as WWII. These moments, whether they were about the French or the Germans were sometimes ugly and sometimes very touching. I guess that even during war, most people manage to hang onto some of their humanity.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suite Française.

message 1: by Petra X (new)

Petra X I loved Le Bal, the perfect revenge book, but found Snow in Autumn tedious and so I didn't bother with Suite Francaise. From those two books I didn't think Nemirovsky actually liked people very much and whereas that worked to her advantage in Le Bal, I found it otherwise off-putting.

Jennie Interesting. This is the only Nemirovsky I have read. I'll check out Le Bal for sure.