Lindsay's Reviews > The Message: The New Testament in Contemporary Language

The Message by Eugene H. Peterson

Oct 21, 10

bookshelves: currently-reading

I really don't understand why people don't read this book unless they want to be baffled by thousands of "thou, thee, art, whom, thy..." all that old English stuff. The fact of the matter is, this is not Old England, it's the twenty first century, and Jesus and his disciples weren't just some wizard behind a curtain, they were HUMAN. I love this version of the Bible, yes, it is the Bible (God's one and ONLY word). I feel like I'm actually holding the letters Peter and Paul wrote. So far, I love first and second Peter. I can really relate to Peter: trying so hard, longing for God to reveal himself. And I'm realizing God does a little more every day. As Leeland said, "When I see God, I cry." And I do usually get teary when God really speaks to me. To people who think God is some giant man floating on a cloud that you run to when something really goes wrong, try reading the Bible. God is here, he is everything good, and he is in me. If someone denies that, I wish they could see Jesus bearing all their sins. Jesus broke the sin barrier between us and God, and although we won't fully be united until we die, when you become a follower of Jesus, he will start to heal your spirit!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Message.