April Helms's Reviews > Everything Matters!

Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr.

Feb 14, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, young-adult
Read in February, 2010

This was a strange story, told in a rather interesting fashion. A boy is born, knowing that in 36 years a comet will strike Earth, ending all life. The story is told from multiple points of view as the boy grows up: the boy (Junior), his sweetheart Amy, his brother, his father and a sort of Greek chorus of nearly omnipotent voices. The story is very character-driven and the characters are interesting and well fleshed out. Especially liked the father, a man with a past who has had his mess-ups -- but he admits it and has worked hard to do well by his family. The beginning dragged a bit, but the more serious problem was with the two tragedies Junior faces. The first, OK -- I can see it. Very ironic tragedy. But a similar tragedy later on just struck me as being a bit over the top. Jury is out on how it ends. It almost felt a bit Deus ex Machina. I guess if the point was that Junior basically had a better life when he stopped obsessing over things he really had no control of, OK. But... still not sure if I liked it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Matters!.