Thomas's Reviews > Boy Meets Boy

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

2018505
Feb 14, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: lgbtq, young-adult, realistic-fiction, romance
Read from February 25 to 27, 2010

Boy Meets Boy is about Paul, an openly gay kid in high school. Of course he has his problems and his drama but none of it really involves his sexuality - he's just that comfortable with it. However, his friend Tony does have a problem with it. Or more like his parents do, because Tony's parents are like the bible worshiper type. Then there's Kyle, Paul's ex-boyfriend who can't seem to decide what he wants. Joni is Paul's best friend who might not be his best friend for much longer. Infinite Darlene is the school's drag queen quarterback, as unrealistic as that sounds. And finally, there's Noah. The one that might make everything else worthwhile for Paul.

This was a huge disappointment. While I have received mixed feedback from people who have read Boy Meets Boy, I was expecting it to at least be at a three star level. Nope. The main problem I had was that Levithan seemed to be trying too hard to make his story unique and different, and tried to incorporate too many struggling unique characters. Nothing was really fleshed out, and I didn't connect with any of the characters.

A lot of the details were unnecessary and didn't relate to the story at all. I'm surprised that is the case because the book is a pretty quick read on its own, but there were certain moments where the author seems to go on wild tangents of randomness that had no correlation to the book itself. Most of the characters were just who they were because they had to be unique to fit in. I know Levithan was trying to manifest a world where homophobia isn't an issue, drag queens who play football are normal, and teachers who tell their kindergarten students that they are gay is a regular occurrence, but it just didn't work out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Meets Boy.

02/26/2010 page 49

message 1: by Ralph (new)

Ralph =\ I've heard a lot of good things about this book. Now I'll have to read it myself and see how I like it. Great review. =)

Thomas Thanks! And yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about David Levithan in general but so far nothing I've read from him has impressed me. Oh well :)

Alix I definitely agree with your review. Personally, what really detracted form me was also how unrealistic some of the characters were, Infinite Darlene being the one that springs to mind. Obviously this is quite an old review but if you haven't yet, you should definitely check out some of his other books.