Mike's Reviews > Pandora's Star

Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton

Feb 28, 10

bookshelves: sci-fi, space-opera
Read from February 14 to 24, 2010

1,000 pages, whew! The next book, "Judas Unchained," also 1,000 pages, takes up right where this one leaves off. Advise you to read them back to back to better keep up with the numerous plots. Hamilton is good with dialogue but this book would have been better off around 500-700 pages. He spends way too much time describing scenes/worlds/etc. for me. He's good at it and not too technical, but I just get bored reading descriptions and find myself saying c'mon already. Sometimes up to 4-5 pages of describing or setting up scenes. He has his cast of characters listed in the front of the second book, 3 freakin' pages worth. Another reason to read the books back to back so as to keep up with this crew. Good detective/mystery aspect in the book, but not really enough military SF/battle sequences, if you're into that. First 500 pages are easily better than the last 500. I think he decided to write another book about half way through this one and just spread the story out. Again, too many characters for me BUT I do enjoy his writing when his characters are interacting. Just needs to be less descriptive and have more dialogue for his characters. Dan Simmons did a better job, in my opinion, with his Hyperion series of books. Good SF writers are hard to find. Seems like I read 4 SF books to find 1 I like. Hamilton IS good, when he wants to be, and can spin a yarn. As a British writer I think he's much better than A. Reynolds. Recommended, IF you can stay interested long enough thru 2,000 pages, in order to finish the second book as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pandora's Star.

02/20/2010 page 600