Khy's Reviews > Sea

Sea by Heidi R. Kling

Aug 10, 10

Read on March 06, 2010

I've been pretty unenthusiastic about quite a few of the books I've read this year, but Sea not one of those books. I liked it so much that I rounded up some of my buddies and made a video about it: http://bit.ly/cy9Pmv

I'll get my few negatives out of the way first: I would have loved to see more of Sienna's work with the kids. The scenes where she interacted with the children were some of my favorites- they were sad but sweet and a nice break from the romance, even though I loved that aspect of the novel. I also don't see what the big deal about Spider is. Many of the other reviews I've read have made a point of mentioning how much they love him, but he's in the book for like 30 pages. Maybe I don't see the hype because surfer boys totally don't interest me, but I really don't see the appeal.

On to the happy lovey stuff: While I don't see the Spider appeal, I definitely see the Deni appeal. He's kind of totally awesome and sweet and ahh. Lovely. The romance between him and Sienna is completely believable, and I'm SO glad that it wasn't love at first sight (I'm over that plot element). Their relationship was sweet to begin with, but as it developed it became even more lovely to read about. I also liked that their time wasn't perfect- there were plenty of obstacles in their way that made their story all the more realistic.

Most of the other story elements were excellent as well- Sienna's back story and grief were written beautifully. I totally understood why she was so distraught over her mother and father's developing relationship with a new woman; seeing her try to overcome her issues gave the story much more depth- SEA's not just a fantastic romance.

And the ending? Broke my heart. That twist! I may have cried. Maybe.

In short: LOVED IT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea.

Heidi Thank you!