Steve's Reviews > Chesapeake

Chesapeake by James A. Michener

Feb 14, 10

bookshelves: general-fiction

As a long time DC Metro area resident I appreciated this historical novel that traces two families from their arrival in the future Maryland/DC/Virgina area in early colonial times through the early 1970s.

The mixture of soap opera and history was appealing.

I really got a sense for what the area was like and I was very amused by the "Us - Them" mentality existing between Maryland and Virgina centuries ago.

Like most Michener novels this is a big book, so be prepared to stay with it for a while.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chesapeake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Merry (new) - added it

Merry Steve, I am enjoying all the reviews you just recently posted. This was a big book, but did the pages turn well? Did it hold your interest? It sounds interesting as I love to read books with some American history.

Steve Yes. :)

Not at all sterile. Michener is good with turning history into a story. It was like reading a TV miniseries drama about two families. He has several similar books about different regions of the country. Most of his books, except for his first one ( about WWII in the South Pacific ) are large, but they read well. You can lay on a couch at the end of a long day and easily follow it.

message 3: by Merry (new) - added it

Merry Sounds perfect, I will add to my list, thank you!