Karschtl's Reviews > Pompeii

Pompeii by Robert   Harris

Nov 11, 07

bookshelves: darkish, bc, drama, historic, 5-stars, read-in-2007
Read in November, 2007

I'm not that much into historical novels, there are only some exceptions. For example I hugely enjoyed Rutherfurds "London". I also like to read about real historical events sometimes, that's why I picked up Pompeii. Very fascinating how much power nature has. Just imagine a fountain of rock and ashes that is shot into the sky and several miles high!!!!

The (for the most part) fictional story is interesting, imaginable und enthralling to some extend. It's also informative. And of course I had to look up Pompeii on the Internet and my big History Chronicle Book.
I wondered why no one (or almost no one) noticed the warnings of Vesus, the reams of little tremors of the earth that happened before the eruption for example... I mean, they did notice the tremors, they just didn't think much about it because they've never seen a volcanic eruption before. Vesuv's last activity had been almost 2000 years before this disaster in 79 A.D., so they simply didn't know what it's like and didn't know that Vesuv actually IS a volcano.

But thanks to Plinius (a scientist of that time) we all know today what happened in Pompeii on this hot day in August and what a volcanic eruption can be like. He didn't survive, but his record did and therefore he provided the first account of a natural disaster ever (if we don't count the ones described in the bible).
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pompeii.

Nicole I felt an uncontrollable need to learn all about Pompeii too after reading this book! it is fascinating isn't it, and I appreciated this books ability to weave a story around the events which actually happened.

Nicole Ambarchian I loved Rutherfords London too!