Stacey's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

161956
May 02, 2011

bookshelves: no-house-copy, unemployment_read, zombies
Read from April 26 to May 02, 2011

How could I not like this book? From the moment I picked it up I was hooked back into the base story line of Pride and Prejudice which I adore. And then there is the added enjoyment of reading about the Zeds in a lovely Jane Austen inspired voice and seeing great black and white illustrations of important scenes. Wonderful!

Grahame-Smith did a great job of adding the zombie element to Austin's world without drawing the reader out of the story. His approach allowed the original story to live on largely intact and making me yearn to read the original again and watch the BBC version with Colin Firth - scrumptious! Seeing the characters with a new light was a fun twist on the characters I already know and love. I wonder how further "with Zombies" books follow on to this one, but more so because I want to continue on with Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy.

My one sadness is the fate of poor Charlotte Lucas Collins. I am never satisfied with her fate in the original story. Zombies doesn't make that fate any better for her, unfortunately.

I think this is a great way to get people to read classics who might never pick it up otherwise. Hopefully they will continue on to read the original though, as it is what makes this version so good to begin with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

04/26/2011 page 47