LadyCalico's Reviews > Kindred in Death

Kindred in Death by J.D. Robb

Mar 11, 2010

it was ok
Read in February, 2010

As a mystery goes, this book was pretty good. However, the plot was a cross between Vengeance in Death and Michael Connelly's The Scarecrow, both of which were much better books. As a __in Death book, it was a HUGE disappointment. The language was off. The writer used the terminology from Michael Connelly's cops, not found in previous __in Death books. There was something very wrong with the personality and relationships in the back story--they were missing--and they are, to me, the real charm of the series. It was as if they got a new ghostwriter who was so intent on getting the Dallas/Roarke characters right (and failing) that he/she forgot about the rest of the characters and let all the charm drip away. Peabody, McNab, and Feeney should have been given different names since they were so unlike themselves. Peabody was without her humorous Sir! remarks, sarcastic brown-nosing, and Roarke-flirting; her interactions with McNab lacked the usual humor, heat, and chemistry; and Feeney was not only without his usual paternal warmth and wisdom, but also his candied almonds, even on long stake-outs. Nadine, Summerset, Trueheart, etc. were just flat. It was like the aliens had turned the cast of characters into pod people. If all the names had been changed and this was published as just another Nora Roberts' book--titled like, let's say, Invasion of the Body Snatchers--I might have liked it. I have been waiting sooo long for my next __in Death fix, but after finally obtaining Kindred in Death, I feel like I am still waiting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kindred in Death.