Eric's Reviews > The Tibetan Book Of Living And Dying: A Spiritual Classic from One of the Foremost Interpreters of Tibetan Buddhism to the West

The Tibetan Book Of Living And Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche

Apr 30, 10

bookshelves: gave-up-on-reading

Sigh, I'm not so keen on this whole belief in literal reincarnation business (even with the nuances he throws in).

----

I eventually gave up on reading this book around chapter 17 or so. It just drove me batty, the luminous this and extraordinary that. Sorry if I'm just being close-minded. (I will say that chapter 11 of this book is actually really really good, with the exception of a couple of crystal-radiant paragraphs, it showed a genuine compassion for the dying, very touching, offering the dying what they need rather than what you want). Otherwise, I don't see why people hold this in such esteem. Why do we want things to be so amazing and mindblowing?
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tibetan Book Of Living And Dying.

message 1: by Serena (new)

Serena Me either, baby brother. Why can't even the wisest teachers just be ok with not knowing? What does it really matter, that we can know or not know? Seems a silly distraction. This dies, that dies, it all dies.
What is it after that? IS IT after that. Who knows. Go eat some ice cream. I am reading the Batchelor book, "Living with the Devil" again.
Highly recommended.

message 2: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Hey! Thanks for the recommendation. I eventually gave up on the book, not being willing to muddle through the fluffiness.

Christopher Very nice! Question everything! You already have the spirit of Buddah...There are practices in the back, but the one I really like is just breathing