Karin's Reviews > Story of a Girl

Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr

Feb 21, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, edgy, youngadult, audio-books
Read from February 13 to 17, 2010

Deanna Lambert made a mistake. She got involved with her brother’s best friend when she was 13-years-old. Tommy never took her on a date, never took her to get something to eat, never went anywhere with her in public. He would just pick her up after school or come over to her house when he knew Deanna’s brother wasn’t home so they could go park and fool around.

People found out about the relationship in the worst way possible. Deanna’s father caught her with Tommy in the back of his car. The next day, everyone knew what happened. Mostly because Tommy told everyone. Since that terrible night, Deanna’s father hasn’t really looked at her or talked to her and home doesn’t comfort her at all.

Sadly, school isn’t safe for her either. Daily, she hears taunts like slut and skank, suffers unwanted advances from guys, and endures dirty looks from the girls. Her only bright spot is her best friend, Jason.

THE STORY OF A GIRL isn’t a pick me up. I felt sorry for Deanna through the entire book – even in the end. Deanna definitely grew as a character from beginning to end and there is even a small glimmer of hope by the final page. It is a valuable addition to young adult literature in the sense that it shows a girl making it through an extremely tough time. Deanna doesn’t give up – even when she keeps making mistakes.

I would have liked to see the story extended a bit. I wasn’t satisfied with where Deanna’s story left off. Also, I listened to THE STORY OF A GIRL on audio book and the author, Sara Zarr, was the reader. It might have been a little better if a professional reader would have read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story of a Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jason I did not understand why this book got a Sequoyah nomination. Not that terrific, huh?

Karin Not for me. I have a friend that really liked it though. Oh you need to apply for the tech position for OWP. You can totally handle it. You'll have someone to share the load and I'll be helping too. Please?!

Courtney WHAT?! Karen, you've just been voted off of the island. Oh, and I'm the friend who loved it.

Karin Courtney!!!! Don't vote me off the island!

Courtney Okay, okay, I'll give you one more chance, but then you're shark-bait! :)

Lori Courney, You can say "No" too, can't you?