Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance's Reviews > The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba

Feb 13, 10

bookshelves: adventure, creativity, learning, poverty
Read in January, 2010

There is hope in the world. This is the story of hope. William Kamkwamba tells the story of his life growing up in a tiny African country where most people struggle, now and then, with obtaining enough to eat. No electricity, no water, no amenities. Kamkwamba’s family hasn’t enough money during the famine to send him to school so he hangs out at the small library and there he learns how to use wind power to make electricity. Amazing story.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind.

message 1: by William (new) - added it

William Hayes You are one of many people who, in their reviews, describe this book as inspiring or inspirational or who gave it 4 or 5 stars.

I, too, found it inspiring. For me, inspiration is not only a rich internal experience that we desire and enjoy for its own sake. Much more than that, inspiration is also a spur to our acting in the world in some way that helps bring about a good result.

As a result of having read this book, I learned that many people living in rural Malawi are without electricity and water and was moved to make a contribution to these development projects:

The Moving Windmills Project http://movingwindmills.org/ supports Malawian-run rural economic development and education projects in Malawi, with the goals of community economic independence and self-sustainability; food, water and health security; and educational success.

The Raising Malawi Project http://raisingmalawi.org/ supports community-based organizations that provide vulnerable children and caregivers with critical resources. In addition, Raising Malawi supports non-government organizations that offer impoverished families with innovative opportunities for sustainability.
In addition, I have commented on the reviews of many readers who described the book as inspiring, encouraging them to contribute to one of these two projects. I hope that all who were so inspired are able to help bring about some good result for the rural people of Malawi.

Zakariah Johnson Wasn't this the most hope-inspiring story ever?