Mary Rose's Reviews > Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story

Killing Yourself to Live by Chuck Klosterman

Dec 29, 07

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in December, 2007

This is the third Chuck Klosterman book I have read, and I would say it's my favorite. Now, I'm glad I didn't read it first, I think Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs (SDCP) is a good introduction to his style so I wasn't just jumping in blind.

But Killing Yourself to Live is actually relevant. I think Klosterman is obsessed with things and people being either 'ironic,' or 'unironic' in various forms. And while someone being 'unironic' isn't high on my compliment list, someone being authentic is. I think Klosterman is relevant because he's searching for authenticity. I think most great literary movements are based on authors searching - for life, meaning, love. And I think the MTV generation's search is for authenticity. His search is one I can identify with.

I liked the themes in SDCP are also compelling, but because it's in essay form there isn't much time for Klosterman to develop certain themes that I really liked. But in Killing Yourself to Live, I think he built the theme up well and paced it well so I didn't even realize he was expounding on a theme until halfway through the book. But from what I've read, I think this is Klosterman's best work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killing Yourself to Live.