Melissa's Reviews > Erak's Ransom

Erak's Ransom by John Flanagan

Mar 17, 10

Read from March 16 to 17, 2010

Great book, I loved it! I’m such a sucker for a good adventure story, especially if it has plenty of action, humor, intrigue, courage, etc….. and a happy ending. This one has it all.

In a note from the author preluding the novel Flanagan explains that although this is the 7th book in the series, the timing of it fits in after book 4, before 5 and 6. Flanagan realized when he was finishing up book 6 that there was a part of Will’s life (Will is the apprentice) that was left out. So this book covers Will’s final months before he graduates his apprenticeship and becomes a full-fledged Ranger. Flanagan couldn’t have done it any better. Will really has to step up and show what he’s made of. The tension throughout the plot is superb as all the characters face multiple conflicts.

One thing I really love about this series is how Flanagan turns enemies into allies as long as their core principles are the same: honesty, integrity, courage, decency, etc. He did this again in Erak’s Ransom. And he brought back the Skandians. Ha! I just love them, they are such entertaining characters. So if book 4 (Battle for Skandia) was your favorite before now, as it was mine, you may find yourself loving this one even more. And if you haven't read this series and want to start, my suggestion would be to read them out of order. 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 5, 6 - I think I would have preferred it that way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Erak's Ransom.

message 1: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. and you're going to send it our way too, eh? :)

Melissa Of course, this one won't take me long at all to get through.

message 3: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. thanks, friend--Joel's dying over the delay!! However, I may buy it for him for his birthday before you ever get a hold of it. In that case, I'll let YOU borrow it!

Melissa Have you read the synopsis? It looks really good! I feel silly that I'm so excited for it.

message 5: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. Yep, me too :)

Melissa I just saw today that netlibrary has the audio version available now if you're interested. The guy who reads it does a great job. I'm going to wait to start it until Monday; if I start today I won't be able to finish it before the weekend and that would kill me. I've still got it on hold at the Logan Library and it's down to about a 3 week wait so you can still borrow it then if you want.

message 7: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars