Beth's Reviews > The Magician's Nephew

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

Nov 10, 2007

Read in April, 2006

This is sort of a “prequel” to the most famous Narnia book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (now a major motion picture!). I read that book last December and was pleased to discover that it was: a) much shorter than Tolkein’s acclaimed fantasy books (which I do not care for) and b) much less difficult to read than C.S. Lewis’s other books (Mere Christianity, for one … okay, fine, that’s the only other Lewis book I’ve actually completed! :-P) And, of course, I loved the symbolism in the story of the Atonement.

The Magician’s Nephew has all that going for it, too — well, except that the symbolism leans more towards general themes surrounding the Creation, the Garden of Eden, and the Fall. But can I say that I think I enjoyed this book even more? The truths of the book were very good (it was a great follow-up to The Giver and all the thoughts rolling through my mind about “opposition in all things”), the characters are real and loveable, and the situations they found themselves in were always interesting and often humorous and entertaining.

Some people recommend reading this book before The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; others say it should be read after. I think there’s advantages both ways. I rather enjoyed doing it the way I did, as there were plenty of little “ah-ha!” moments in The Magician’s Nephew that wouldn’t have been at all interesting had I not read the other book first. Still, the book is interesting enough to stand on its own.

If you read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and enjoyed it, you’re sure to appreciate The Magician’s Nephew, too.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Nephew.