Zeek's Reviews > The Bleeding Dusk

The Bleeding Dusk by Colleen Gleason

Apr 13, 2010

bookshelves: hist-pnr, pnr, favorite-hero, vamps
Read in March, 2008

Continuing just months after the final climactic battle of Rises the Night in which Victoria, heir to the Venator title- or vampire slayer/chosen one to you and me- loses her beloved Aunt Eustascia, The Bleeding Dusk- the third novel in Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles series- finds Victoria ready and willing to take the reins of leadership over her fellow slayers as Illa Gardella- THE Gardella. She has the renewed strength to do the job- and is no longer the innocent we were introduced to in The Rest Falls Away.

In TBD, Victoria is once again thrust into a new and dangerous plot, the demon Akvan- arisen from the events of Rises the Night- is hoping to open the Door of the Alchemists. A door that will lead him to the very thing he needs to be restored to full power. Victoria along with her fellow Venators cannot allow this and it is she who has the key to defeating him. Literally.

But other circumstances are swirling around Victoria, and Sebastian is back- along with his Grandfather, the ancient Vampire Beauregard and they have their own plans for Victoria.

Per usual, Gleason spins a web of a story that slowly drew me in until I became so absorbed I didn't realize I was almost at the end. Especially when it became obvious the enigmatic Max, venator by choice rather than birth, was about to do the thing I thought he had set aside at the very beginning of the book. (Yes Max lovers, this one's for us!)

Gleason throws in a bit of a twist at the end of this one that made the pages fly, and I have to give props to the plotting! How all the threads tied together was just marvelous and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Of course, once again, we are treated to the love triangle of Max, Sebastian, and Vicki Venator. Much like in the tv show Lost, I have my idea of who our heroine should find her happily ever after with, though I'm sure others would disagree. But that's the fun of triangles, isn't it? Will they? Won't they? Who will she choose?

And that's not the only Will She? Won't She? In this book. Guess you'll have to read to find out!

Yep, it's a great little hook- and I'm falling for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bleeding Dusk.