Zeek's Reviews > Hunting Ground

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs

omygosh what a great, oddly romantic book. Love how the author displayed Charles's strength- even in his vulnerability. Love how she empowered Anna. Love how their love empowered them both.

I know I'm all gushy right now, so let me get to my review:

The continuing story of Charles and Anna, newly mated werewolves tentatively learning to trust their feelings and the truemate bonding that holds them together. In Hunting Ground, Alpha of Alpha's Bran sends his son Charles and his new daughter-in-law to a convening of alphas- one which he was meant to go to himself. The gathering, meant to ease the pack leaders into the news that Bran will be formerly announcing their existence to the world turns into something more when someone attempts to use this time for their own means. The couple soon find themselves in the thick of it after a group of renegade Vampires attack Anna while Charles is tied up at the convention. Things are not what they seem though and Anna senses that the true person behind the attacks may be one of their very own. It will take overcoming fear- in Anna's case- and a combination of the two of them to suss out the true threat and overcome the ancient evil wanting desperately to bring down the Alpha and Omega.

Brigg's can do no wrong with this series as far as I'm concerned. I was hooked from the novella that brought these two together (On the Prowl (Alpha and Omega:Briggs) (Inhuman:Wilks) (Buying Trouble:Chance)) and its only gotten better with the following books. Charles is alpha but stands alone as his uberalpha father's enforcer. Anna abused by the very people who were meant to protect her is leery of alphas- hence their struggle. Charles a killer by nature but soulful mystic at heart, Anna an emotional healer in badly need of a healing herself- thrown together because of a mating bond that wont let each other go- and these two don't need any outside influence to create conflict. Yet that's what makes this series work, because though they struggle they always come back to love and both have courage that not many people have- not to kill evil when faced with it- although there is that- no, the courage to stand naked and vulnerable in front of each other (and I'm speaking metaphorically of course) and have the other love them... just as they are.

I love that. I love her exploration of "pack dynamics" as another reader put it, (something so psychological about it all which I cannot resist!). I love this series. Just know that Briggs is good at what she does and you should be reading this series too! :)

Cant wait for more! (And God please, let their be a true love for Bran- because wow he's just too intriguing for words!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunting Ground.

12/19/2010 page 24
8.0% "I heart Patty Briggs and I heart Charles & Anna! Birgg's a master at setting the scene." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Regina I love this series! Charles is amazing. But I love Briggs discussion of pack dynamics.

Zeek I know! She does it so well! That's part of the thing that fascinates me about these novels- the psychology of it!

MelissaB Nice review Zeek! I still like the Mercy series a little better but I am enjoying this one too. I agree - Bran needs a real HEA!

Catherine Great review, Zeek! I love this series as well. I cannot wait for the next one to come out.

Kathleen Loved this book! one of my favorites.