Zeek's Reviews > Moon Called

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Feb 12, 2010

bookshelves: favorites-all-time, favorites-uf, urban-fantasy, alpha-hero, favorite-author, kick-ass-heroine, favorite-hero, favorite-heroine, vamps, shifters, sidhe
Read in February, 2007

I absolutely recommend this one! Full of Werewolves, Vampires, and Shapeshifters, OH MY, AND a totally brilliant butt-kicking heroine who just happens to have a coyote alter ego- I did not want to put it down once I got into it!

The heroine, Mercy Thompson, is a walker- a shapeshifter of Native American descent- who wears her coyote skin as comfortably as her human form. It's difficult to review this one without spoiling it for those who haven't read it yet, but I'll attempt it.

In Moon Called, Mercy finds herself tossed amid a power struggle between werewolf clans, or packs as it were, after a young werewolf named Mac shows up at her door hungry, scared and in need of a job. Adam, her sexy Alpha Werewolf neighbor, comes along to help out after a particular bloody incident quite literally threatens Mercy and Mac's life.

The plotting and pacing in this novel is so well done I found myself eagerly turning pages even after my eyelids started to droop late into the night! Briggs did a great job of revealing a hook in the plot and then following it up with just enough resolution to satisfy, without leaving us with no more story. That's talent if you ask me! And, I think first person narrative was an excellent choice for Mercy's story as her thoughts are interesting to follow.

Although this is filed in the fantasy genre, it reads more like paranormal romance as far as I'm concerned, only without all the "Anita Blake" sex anxst. (Plus on that one!)

What I loved about the book, other than the tight plotting, was the way the author made the fae, or supernatural, world seem plausible. I also loved that she made you believe Mercy as a regular gal who just happens to be shapeshifting witch who works on VW's for a living!

I'm giving this one a 5 because there isn't anything I can think of to pull it down for me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Called.

03/03 marked as: read

message 2: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Sinclair I totally agree with your review. Great job.

Zeek Thanks!

Christine This is one of my favorite series. I glad you enjoyed it so much!