Zeek's Reviews > The Wild Road

The Wild Road by Marjorie M. Liu

Apr 08, 11

bookshelves: favorites-pnr, pnr, pnr-kitchen-sink, sidhe, shifters
Read in March, 2011

Lannes Hannelore is part of a very few left of his race- gargoyles who protect humans from evil. His true face is hidden behind a pretty illusion and he longs for nothing more than someone to know him- the true man within.

He doesn’t know it yet, but the frightened, blood covered woman with no memory, whom he finds wandering the streets, is the woman who will reach past every wall and embrace both man and creature. But first he has to get beyond the puzzle she’s presented him- and decide if she really is the killer she seems to be.

I really liked Lannes. He’s bookish, a bit of a nerd and frightened of his own strength. But don’t mistake him for weak, he’ll stop at nothing to protect the vulnerable woman he senses is more than she appears. Lethe, named by Lannes and the heroine of this story, is a complete mystery, but you sense her strength. I like that she becomes even stronger when Lannes enters her mind and connects with her on a level in the way only a paranormal romance can.

I consider Liu’s Dirk and Steele series to be PNR (Paranormal Romance) for the thinking woman. No school girls here and though the heroes may be a bit broody at times, they are never sparkly (THANK GOD!). : )

4.5 of 5 from me

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catherine I love this series! I really like your description of it. "PNR for the thinking woman." I really want to find some time to reread all of these so I can be fresh for the latest release. It has been a while since I read any of them and I know I've forgotten a ton of important information.

Zeek I have two more to go including the most recent release... I was actually pleasantly surprised she was still doing them, since I know she writes another series which I have yet to get to!!

Catherine The Iron Kiss series? I like that one as well.