Beth's Reviews > Love's Long Journey

Love's Long Journey by Janette Oke

Feb 19, 2008

Read in January, 2007

The third book in the Love Comes Softly series, this story departs from the setting and main character of the first two and follows Marty’s daughter Missie to the far western prairies.

At first, it seems that the “long journey” referred to in the title is the trek west — days of walking until sore and nights of sleeping under the canvas of covered wagon is hard to endure — but the promise of a beautiful valley where Missie’s husband has staked his claim for a cattle ranch hangs before them, driving them onward. But when Missie finally does arrive at her destination that will be her permanent home, she can’t help but feel disappointed. She’s isolated and lonely, homesick for her family and the landscape that she has always loved. Her “long journey,” really, begins here.

This story was much more linear than the previous story — no tangential subplots of minor characters — and I appreciated the focus and development of the single character. I could identify with a lot of Missie’s feelings, since I, too, have left “home” for an adventure in what sometimes seems a faraway place. But reading her story made me appreciate everything I do have — new friends, places to go and things to see, and family just a plane ride away.

A good story, and I’m already diving into the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love's Long Journey.