Charity's Reviews > The Between Boyfriends Book: A Collection of Cautiously Hopeful Essays

The Between Boyfriends Book by Cindy Chupack

Nov 10, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: inspirey, memoir, funny-stuff
Read in November, 2007

I really enjoyed reading this book. I read it in a day, half of it while I was sitting at the cafe in the bookstore, working on something else, supposedly. It is really quite funny. In terms of it being "cautiously hopeful," however, I would have so say that overall, it was much more cautious than hopeful.

Many times while reading it, I felt like I was watching a Sex and the City episode, and I mean the part of the series before everyone started getting married and having babies (definitely my least favorite part of the series was that part towards the end where the women's lives all "come together"). This makes sense, of course, since the author wrote for that series.

I think my favorite essay is the one about the long string of bad dates, and Chupack's hilarious attempts to number them, counting flings with an ex as only half a date. Her essays often sound familiar in sometimes embarrassing, sometimes exasperating, but always entertaining ways. While the stories she recounts are comforting in a way, the book as a whole doesn't really encourage those who are "between boyfriends," but also doesn't really send the message that you're ok on your own. I like the fact that the book does not succumb to cheesy and cliche "everything will be ok" advice and/or support, but I would have liked a little more confidence and sassy-ness, and a little less cynicism.

I doubt I will read it again, but it was really fun the first time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Between Boyfriends Book.