Zeek's Reviews > If You Deceive

If You Deceive by Kresley Cole

Apr 02, 2010

bookshelves: favorites-all-time, hist-rom, romance, favorite-author
Read in August, 2009

Brutally wounded and left for dead after being discovered with a conniving married shrew of woman, ruthless Ethan MacCarrick wants nothing but revenge and he will have it. Being a man of action, he proceeds to ruin the people behind the deeds of that devastating night, but it leaves him little consolation for the things he lost.

Years later he becomes helplessly drawn to the friend of his brother's woman only to find she's the daughter of his hated enemy. Deciding to use her to finish them off for good he enters into a relationship with her, only to find himself caught in a web of his own making- but he's not so interested in escaping.

Living most of her life in the slums of France, Madeleine van Rowen is determined to get out of her abject, improvised state by the only decent means a woman has for herself- marry a rich husband. When Ethan ruins her chances with the one man she had dangling on her line, she's determined to cut Ethan out of her life, despite his dogged pursuit. Yet something about the gruff Scot tugs at her and when he makes her an offer she can't refuse, she caves.

When she discovers the truth behind Ethan's actions, her devastated heart is ready to leave. Now Ethan must decide if the love he's feeling is stronger than his anger and desire for revenge- and woo her back to his side... forever.

Perfect ending to a very romantic trilogy!

Ethan's a bad boy for holding on to his hatred for so long, but I loved him for loving Madeleine despite his anger. I loved that he let her charm the pants off of him (literally) and I love the way he made a home for her in the end.

Madeleine is an equally endearing heroine. Because of where she lives she's not as innocent as most women of her class, but still pure. Her heart is golden, as evidenced by her care for the ladies in her slum, and she has spunk. These two generated some scorching heat together and where a great pairing, making If You Deceive a historical romance keeper to be sure.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Deceive.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) This is one of my all-time favorite. Great review.

message 2: by Zeek (last edited Apr 02, 2010 05:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek Cole is one of my favorite authors right now!

Maureen Feeney My favourite also, great review. Its not often a series ends as well as this, just perfect