Zeek's Reviews > If You Dare

If You Dare by Kresley Cole

Apr 02, 10

bookshelves: favorites-all-time, hist-rom, romance, favorite-author
Read in February, 2009

Good start to a series!

Deeply sensual, Cole writes a steamy romantic story! I wasn't sure at first what I thought about the hero of IYD, Courtland MacCarrick, as he came off stubborn, hard nosed and a bit of jerk. And too, Annalia Tristan Llorente, the heroine, seemed too proud and bound by societal stricture- I just wasn't sure how these two would ever get together.

But I soon found out they were more than they seemed, and that, as well as writing heated romantic scenes, the author knows how to put depth into her Characters!

The story begins with an ancient Celtic curse that informs us right off the bat that none of the heroes in the The MacCarrick Brothers Series will have an easy time of it in life- especially with love. When Court finds himself falling for the beautiful woman who rescued him from certain death, he knows he should run- for her sake more than anything his. But when he discovers Annalia's own turmoil is intricately intertwined with his own, he knows he cannot leave her ... yet.

Anna detests the man she pulled from the river whom she suspects is a Scottish mercenary hired by General Reynaldo Pascal, the man scheming to take over her country and the one holding her beloved brother hostage. But good manners and good breeding dictate she give him aid- and besides, she's not completely sure he is who she thinks he is.

When he proves himself to be a boorish lout, she knows her suspicions are true. She immediately demands he leave her premises. Naturally, the stubborn Court refuses, and thus begins a struggle that will take them from the machinations of a subtly evil dictator and will lead them down a path neither of them thought possible- of deep passion and fated love.

Historical romance doesn't get any better than this!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Dare.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) This was my first KC book. I was hooked from then on.

Zeek She knows how to write an Alpha! :P

Bark's Book Nonsense This sounds good. I don't think I've read this author yet.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) You're in for a treat with Kresley Cole, Barkless. Her Immortals After Dark series rocks! But I love the MacCarrick books as well.

Zeek REALLY?? She's great!

Do you read paranormal romance too? Because if you do I HIGHLY suggest her Immortals After Dark series as well! (First book is A Hunger Like No Other)

Bark's Book Nonsense I took a long hiatus from romance (after getting burned out from reviewing too many of them on a deadline) and have missed out on a lot of good reads it seems. Paranormal is my favorite sub-genre. Thanks for the recommendation, this place is dangerous for my tbr pile!

Zeek Oh I hear ya- I often have to cleanse the pallette and leave the rom genre!

Depending on what kind of hero you like- Lachlain might take some getting used to... but hang in there, he's soooo worth it! as are his brothers and cousins later on in the series! :P

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I like to mix things up, myself. I LOVE Lachlain!!!! I love all KC's heroes. I'm not into macho guys in real life, but I would so take a KC hero if he came out of one of her books!

Maureen Feeney I have recommended this series loads of times,but not a lot of people have tried it yet (nobody listens to me). The final book is my favourite

message 11: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek I loved them- Im not a huge hist/rom reader anymore but I did really enjoy these!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Sometimes you wonder about people, huh? Just kidding. I'm trying to get my sister into the IAD books. She's still on the first on (1.5 years later). Sigh!

♥ Beth Maureen wrote: "I have recommended this series loads of times,but not a lot of people have tried it yet (nobody listens to me). The final book is my favourite"

Maureen.. I have also tried to pimp this series to everyone and no one ever listens to me either!! My Gosh... I LOVED this series!!

Maureen Feeney ♥ Beth wrote: "Maureen wrote: "I have recommended this series loads of times,but not a lot of people have tried it yet (nobody listens to me). The final book is my favourite"

Maureen.. I have also tried to pimp ..."

LOL its not just me then trying to push them. I love series but more times than not I love the first couple of books but then Im sick to my back teeth by the third or fourth book because it has just gone downhill, but I am that sad I will stick it out to the very final book.(hoping the writer gets the series back on track). Johanna Lindsey Malory,s for example.

message 15: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek JL'D Malory's have been off track for a long time now- I've given hope on those, sad to say.

Dani- 1.5 yrs later?! A hunger like no other isn't even the best one in the series, shame she can't get thru it because she's missing out on some goodies!

Maureen Feeney I have A Hunger Like no Other must push up my TBR pile. Is there a best series thread posted somewhere need good series recommendations???

message 17: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek I read mostly PNR now (paranormal romance- you know werewolves, vampires, shifters and fae OH MY!) I can give you my top 10 on those. (I'd have to think for Hist/Rom or romance)!

1) Immortals After Dark by KresleyCole
7) Tairen Souls by C.L. Wilson
8) Darkyn\Kyndred by Lynn Viehl
9) Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter
10) Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark-Hunter/Dream-Hunter Series

Honorable Mentions: Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost & Psy/Changling series by Nalini Singh

message 18: by new_user (new)

new_user Maureen, whatcha lookin' for, HR or PNR?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Zeek wrote: "JL'D Malory's have been off track for a long time now- I've given hope on those, sad to say.

--I know. And I'm a psycho fan of that series, no less. :(

7. Heart Of Fire By Linda Howard
8. Son Of The Morning By Linda Howard
9. Diamond Bay By Linda Howard
10. White Lies By Linda Howard,

Maureen Feeney Dani, Me too I will probably stay with the Malory's to the bitter end, but could have been done in 5 books.

I am looking for mostly HR Zeek and user

message 22: by new_user (last edited Apr 08, 2010 01:48PM) (new)

new_user In that case, here are my recommendations:

Stranger in My Arms by Lisa Kleypas Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2) by Suzanne Enoch

HPNR:

Touch of the Wolf (Historical Werewolf, #1) by Susan Krinard Moon Craving (Children of the Moon, #2) by Lucy Monroe The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) by Shana Abé

message 23: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek I see you've read Hoyt's books, she's been a recent Hist/rom favorite of mine. Also liked Lord of Scoundrels. oooh how 'bout old Julie Garwood? You read those yet??

I KNOW! The Wind Dancer series by Iris Johansen- the older release not the newer edition with excised naughty bits! Loved those too! The Wind Dancer

Maureen Feeney new_user wrote: "In that case, here are my recommendations:

Stranger in My Arms by Lisa KleypasLondon's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2) by Suzanne EnochNot Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas

HPNR:

[bookcover:Touch of t..."

Cheers I am short one book in The Lessons in Love series by Suzanne Enoch so will get that before I start this series. I think I have a couple more of her series to read yet. Will have to get a sherry thomas book

Maureen Feeney Zeek wrote: "I see you've read Hoyt's books, she's been a recent Hist/rom favorite of mine. Also liked Lord of Scoundrels. oooh how 'bout old Julie Garwood? You read those yet??

I KNOW! The W..."

I think I have read all of JG historicals Love her Crown Spies series. Im going to check out Susan Krinard sounds good

message 26: by new_user (new)

new_user Super, the first two books in Krinard's series were quite nice, especially if you like the brooding, moody hero. I think you will definitely like Smoke Thief too and NQaH. :D

message 27: by Shannon (last edited Apr 08, 2010 04:14PM) (new)

Shannon C. Zeek, have you read her sailor books (Sutherland Brothers Series)? Those were pretty good too. Not as awesome as Immortals After Dark, but still entertaining romances.

The Captain of All Pleasures
The Price of Pleasure

message 28: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek I did read the Price of pleasure- def. better than most hist/rom out there but not as good as the maccarick's and the IAD's!

message 29: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek OH Maureen have you read Pamela Clare's historicals?? I LOVE those and am anxiously awaiting her next release! Surrenderis the first in the Mackinnion Rangers series with Untamed next, and I'm on pins and needles for the third, but three others are loosely connected to them too.

Ride the Fireis fantastic!