Zeek's Reviews > A Hunger Like No Other

A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole

First full length novel in Cole's paranormal romance series Immortals After Dark, (second overall), A Hunger Like No Other is a gold mine of uber-alpha, destined-for-each other, sexy reading.

When Lachlain scents his mate while hidden below the streets of Paris, he does the impossible- he breaks the chains that have kept him imprisoned for 150 years and goes after her. Sure he tears off a limb to do so, but he's a werewolf- so regeneration, though painful, is possible.

Emmaline has lived as an accepted outsider with her Valkyrie Aunts all her life. Half Vampire, half Valkyrie, Emma is the non-confrontational one of the bunch ... but that's about to change.

Storming into her life with the force of a hurricane, Lachlain is disgusted when he discovers the woman he's waited for, for almost a thousand years, is a vampire- the hated enemy of his clan. None-the-less he takes her hostage, deciding he'll keep her because there's no way he's losing his mate now that he's found her.

Weakened by not feeding for days, Emma is lethargic and scared out of her mind by the overbearing were who's hijacked her and talked her into joining him on his return trip home to Scotland. But when she takes his blood for the first time, her strength returns full force and the creature known as Emma the Timid takes a drastic turn.

Even as Lachlain's "beast" is soothed by finally being with his mate, Emma finds she is not so timid after all and so she does whatever she can to get away from the impossible man who claims he wants her above all others.

In the meantime, she's having strange dreams from Lachlain's point of view and as they spend time together, finds herself just as drawn to him as he is to her.

So much so, when she does find her chance to escape- instead of running home- she heads straight for the deadly vampire who ruined Lachlain's life.

Sacrificing her own desires, she finds the courage to kill a king ... and in process accept her fate as a creature of Three.

Archetypal Paranormal Romance, AHLNO is a thrilling ride I couldn't get off of till the very last word!

Here's the thing though, Cole's writes some over the top alpha heroes. Not usually a problem for me because I find non-alpha heroes in romantic fiction never hold my interest very long. However, she writes them SO alpha, I often cringe at their antics, which tend to come off as bullying.

Just as when I read If You Dare, 1st in a historical romance series by this author, I wasn't sure if I would ever like the hero ... until about a quarter of the way through when he began to change. And too, the heroine irritated the heck out of me for being so unrelentingly angry at the hero through much of the rest of book!

Yet through it all, I closed the book thinking, "that was a good read."

I suppose the setting, the fantasy-like creatures, and yes, the strong romantic elements is enough to make it a winner in the long run. Either way, I'm certainly rushing out to get the rest in the series! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hunger Like No Other.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rossy (new)

Rossy Fantastic review, Zeek!