Ricki's Reviews > The Monstrumologist

The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey

Feb 11, 10

bookshelves: printz

Wow. I don't think I have ever read a book like this. It is no surprise to me that this received a Printz Honor Seal. Will Henry is an orphan living as an assistant to a Monstrumologist, a doctor who studies monsters. I don't read books like this, so it took me some time to get into this book, and I can attest that this one will hook readers who may be reluctant to read a gothic, monster tale. The writing is excellent.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monstrumologist.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike You had me with "doctor who studies monsters." I'd love to borrow it, thanks for thinking of me.

Daria I totally agree with you. I couldn't believe how good this book was! I went to Rick Yancey's website and it looks like there will be more books--if I remember correctly there are 10 more folios/journals of Will's. Can't wait!

Ricki It took me some time to get into it and I was skeptical. It also took me a while to get through it. But when I finished it and reflected, I thought, wow, that was a really cool book.

message 4: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle What grade level would you classify this as Ricki? I'm trying to bulk up my classroom library!:)

Ricki Higher level high school. The language is tough. I had to refer to my dictionary, and I consider my vocabulary to be strong. I only give it to my sophisticated readers.

Kellee Danielle wrote: "What grade level would you classify this as Ricki? I'm trying to bulk up my classroom library!:)"

Ricki wrote: "Higher level high school. The language is tough. I had to refer to my dictionary, and I consider my vocabulary to be strong. I only give it to my sophisticated readers."

I teach 7th grade and I have a handful of students who have read it and really enjoyed it. But I would say 13+.

Ricki True. A strong reader can take it. Many students get confused in parts. It is gothic fiction, so kids who like that genre will enjoy it. But I don't think your sixth graders could handle it--unless you had a very, very strong reader.