Lisa Vegan's Reviews > New Clothes for New Year's Day

New Clothes for New Year's Day by Hyun-joo Bae

Feb 17, 10

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Recommended for: learning a little about Korean Lunar New Year, little girls who enjoy pretty clothes
Read on February 17, 2010

This is a sweet spare little story about a young girl getting herself dressed in all new clothes for Korean Lunar New Year. The illustrations are lovely. The cover illustration (which also appears inside the book on one of the pages) is actually one of my least favorite of the pictures. Little girls who enjoy pretty clothes will probably enjoy this book. There’s a 2 page spread in the back with author’s notes about the significance of New Year’s Day (which is when people also celebrate getting one year older) and having all new clothes and there’s also a picture of the little girl in her various clothing using Korean (with English alphabet) and English words to describe the various garments. The whole time I read this I kept thinking of those old paper doll books, where the “doll” and the clothes could be cut out and then used in play.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Clothes for New Year's Day.

Kathryn Glad you liked it! I think the illustrations were so beautiful (I agree the cover doesn't do the book justice) and I know I would have been so infatuated with all those clothes had I read this as a kid! :-)

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "I'm looking forward to this one! All the Lunar New Year books I've read have focused on China, so it will be good to read a Korean one."

Abigail, Yes, I liked the Korean perspective. There's not that much information given though.