Kim's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Oct 21, 10

bookshelves: ya, ebook, read-in-2010
Read from October 19 to 21, 2010

I read this book because I was positive I wasn't going to like it. Which is odd, I'll admit, but I have a thing for ridiculous books. I'm not saying this book wasn't a tad ridic, because it was predictable as hell and what's the word I'm looking for... fluffy? When I think about this book I see a cute fuzzy pink bunny.

Evie was pretty likable, but a bit too quirky in a cool way for somebody who basically lived in a modern version of a cave pretty much all her life. But her fashion sense sucks. Zebra print dress and pink boots? Seriously? Ouch, my eyes! I don't really get the whole OMG!PINK obsession, I skipped that phase when I was growing up. I'm 27 right now, and in my entire life, I've owned (and still do) exactly one item of pink clothing. And I've worn it like, twice.

I'm pretty sure all of you are familiar with "Tasey". Well... To be honest, this is what comes to mind whenever the name popped up. I don't know why, probably because it's completely ridiculous to give your taser such a silly name. If you are going to name it, then make it sound cool, like The Shocker or Lightning, or whatever. Anything is better than Tasey. I can't even say it out loud without a way too high sounding voice.

And then there's Reth. I love his full name, Lorethan, and that's where I'm drawing my big fat pink crayon line. He's creepy, I hated his crap about wanting to fill Evie (seriously, try saying that out loud with a straight face to someone) and I hope his 'new' name will be something in the lines of Paco, or some other typical pimp name. Oh and trust me, he is a pimp, he started carrying a cane around after he reinvented himself.

Last but not least: Lend. I adore him. He's sweet, cute and whenever I think of him I want to hug somebody. (work will be interesting tomorrow).

I didn't like the ending for some reason. It's probably just me, but half of the time I was scratching my head and thinking 'whut?'. I think I figured it out eventually XD

I am reading the sequel. Yes, I am. *nods fiercely*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

10/19/2010
5.0% "I'd like to thank my friends for warning me about Tasey. It's still funny, but at least I didn't drop my Kindle in the tub."
10/19/2010
25.0% "I like it so far, I don't think this was supposed to happen" 4 comments
10/20/2010
40.0% "Reth can go bleep himself." 5 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I'm positive I won't love this, but I really need a few are-you-kidding-me moments to cheer myself up.

Unintentionally funny books usually do the trick.

Jessica Yeah, probably not...
Hope it'll cheer you up at least a little bit :-)

message 3: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina I adore you <3

Jessica Kim or the book? ;-)

message 5: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina Kim. Her snark makes me day better

Jessica Yeah, I know what you mean :o)

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim You guys should see my face right now, you made my day, no make that my entire week. At least.

Thanks, I really needed that. ^^ *hugs*

Jessica

You're more than welcome :o)

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim ROFL, he's adorable. From a distance, because I'm sure he's capable of ripping my arm off.

I read too many books, I know, my imagination is ridic.

~Tina~ Awwwwwwwwww, how did you get a picture of my brother Kim?

Can't wait to hear what you thinky of this one!

message 11: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa lmao Tina! XD

message 12: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim ROFL, I don't know, Jessica posted it maybe she dated him

*winks in a completely over the top manner*

Jessica Kim, you are right. We used to be an item. I know, I know, it's kinda weird but he's just so FLUFFY! I couldn't resist ;-)

Tina, Lui has never told me about a sister! Good for you that there's not much of a family resemblance xD

message 14: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa At least he has a nice... Uhhh...sister! 8D Yeah, that's one good thing about him.

~Tina~ LOL! Great pic Jess!

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I hope you guys dated during the coldest months of the year, Jessica.

Alexa, don't forget the white teeth. Very important. And a nose shaped like ♥.

message 17: by Jessica (last edited Oct 19, 2010 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica Alexa, let me tell you that he's got some more qualities... *waggles her eyebrows*

*and waggles them some more*

message 18: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa lmao Heart nose. Maybe it's my screen, but those teeth don't look white to me.

message 19: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa @Jessica: LOL I bet he does. XD

message 20: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Alexa wrote: "lmao Heart nose. Maybe it's my screen, but those teeth don't look white to me."

My screen = like staring at the sun (I'm not kidding), so it could be me.

Jessica Kim wrote: "I hope you guys dated during the coldest months of the year, Jessica.

Alexa, don't forget the white teeth. Very important. And a nose shaped like ♥."

You forgot about the eyes! They're so lovely and kind...

Lucky for him that he dumped me during summer time. Otherwise I would have made a coat out of him...

message 22: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Yup, Peta will be all over my ass by tomorrow morning.

Which reminds me... Oh Peeta... ♥

Jessica Hmm Peeta...*sighs happily and gets that dreamy look on her face* ♥
Peeta's cut from the same cloth as Seth...Unfortunately both guy's are just too good to be true...

message 24: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F *bursts into the room* Did I hear "Peeta"?

message 25: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Hahah PETA/PEETA. yes. I like it.

message 26: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa Peeta!

message 27: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F I saw a random girl in my math class reading Mockingjay today. It took all my willpower not to burst out the ending to her. Instead her and I fangirled about Peeta

message 28: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa *fangirls*

message 29: by Stefanie (new) - added it

Stefanie Haha, Jessica is just into hairy men...it's okay, we all have our own preferences ;)

And when it comes to fangirling...when I see someone pick up The Hunger Games or City Of Bones or some other fantasmic book and I can see them hesitating...I can't help but intrude on their thought process and CONVINCE/BRAINWASH them into getting it.
I <3 Peeta...swoooooon.

message 30: by Nic (last edited Oct 19, 2010 03:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic LOL. Who said Peeta? Now you have gone and got Morgan excited for the rest of the day!

Jessica Hahaha, our Mistress of Wordplay of course! ;-)

message 32: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F Peetapeetapeeta

~Tina~ PEETA? Where! Where!

message 34: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Like moths to a flame XD

message 35: by Rogue (new) - added it

Rogue roflmao ^^

message 36: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Jessica wrote: "Hahaha, our Mistress of Wordplay of course! ;-)"

That title sounds really naughty, I like it!

message 37: by Morgan (last edited Oct 20, 2010 02:46AM) (new) - added it

Morgan F That's because the word "mistress" is in it. Everytime I hear that word my mind goes automatically to fishnets.

Jessica You've got a dirty little mind Morgan ;-)

But I agree, the word implies fishnets...and a whip ^^

~Tina~ ...and handcuffs.

message 40: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim ...and thigh-high stiletto boots.

message 41: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F ....and a corset.

message 42: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I love those ♥

~Tina~ Not moi. I'm a fan of breathing.

Jessica Breathing? Totally overrated ;-)

message 45: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I can breathe just fine while wearing one ^^

~Tina~ Wore one on my wedding day. Never wanted a piece of clothing off so much in my entire life!

message 47: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I'm strapping myself in one of those babies if I ever decide to take that road XD

~Tina~ Just make it blue and your set to go!

message 49: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F Did you know their is a trend where people are piercing their backs to look laced up by corsets? Its gross.

~Tina~ That's just sick.