Victoria's Reviews > The Dewey Decimal System of Love

The Dewey Decimal System of Love by Josephine Carr

Sep 27, 12

bookshelves: awful, sold, library-lit, chick-lit
Read on August 27, 2008, read count: 1

Eck. While in my first year of library school, I found this book in the dollar shelves of a local used bookstore. It looked like a fun and lighthearted break from library textbooks. So, admittedly, I had rather high hopes for the novel. Unfortunately, this book completely disappointed me. It just wasn't very good at all. The "humour" promised on the back of the book was completely nonexistent. And the book had an oddly egotistical tone to it... Not to mention barely any actual library work described. Also for being marketed as a "romance" there was very little romance within these pages - well, unless stalking, one dumb crush and two lame kisses amount to romance. It certainly did not meet any of my expectations in either the humour or romance department. Perhaps most upsettingly, rather than offset or create jokes around librarian stereotypes, the book only presented a character, in her high-necked blouses and complete lack of a social life, that was a caricature of the stereotypical librarian. Frankly, this was the worst book that I have read in a while. Especially the ending - nothing redeeming there - just completely rushed AND ludicrous! I wasted my time reading this and was completely let down by the idea of a cute, fun book as the cover promised.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dewey Decimal System of Love.