Lydia Presley's Reviews > Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 7 - Izakaya: Pub Food

Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 7 - Izakaya by Tetsu Kariya

Feb 13, 10

bookshelves: 2010, foodie, manga
Read from February 11 to 13, 2010

This is the final volume in the Westernized Oishinbo series. I'll talk a little bit about how I felt about the series on the whole after I talk about this volume a bit.

This volume deals primarily with pubs or as they are referred to in Japan, Izakaya. Everything is dealt with, from sardines to western gratins. I have to admit, the sardine cakes (with mashed bones and all) did not look appetizing to me, but.. who knows, some day I might give them a shot!

The author reveals himself in the middle section to be a bit shy and not at all outgoing. He also speaks of a manga artist named Yu Takita and how wonderful Takita's illustrations were. He drew "affectionate illustrations of the everyday life of the common people". Unlike Tetsu Kariya however, Yu Takita enjoyed going into an izakaya alone. He'd enter into the place and befriend a complete stranger sitting at the table.

Like the other volumes in the series there were some very poignant moments in this one. The birth of twin daughters to the main character, the challenge to step out and find an izakaya of your own.. hinting that there just might be an adventure in it for you.

Overall the series could, at time, seem a little bogged down with information and descriptions. Tetsu Kariya is very detailed when it comes to describing technique and he gets a little too caught up in names sometimes, so it feels as if you are attending a class (without the textbook) instead of reading for pleasure. But overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the series and am walking away from it with 150% more knowledge about Japanese cuisine then I had going into it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 7 - Izakaya.