Tracy's Reviews > The Elegance of the Hedgehog

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

Mar 14, 10

bookshelves: did-not-finish

Itunes had this one on sale, so I'm listening.

Update: I've been listening to it on and off for an hour or so. I think I hate it. Will keep trying...

Update #2: I'm still trying, but so far I loathe this audiobook. I forgot that I hate Barbara Rosenblatt's narration in general, but she is particularly bad here. I think I'll be giving this one up. I hate that I spent money for this though (even though it wasn't much).

Update #3: Got the physical book out of the library. Going to try that.

Update #4: Just couldn't make myself do it. Read the last chapter to see where it all ended up, which was nowhere good. Happy to take it back to the library and delete it from my ipod. Not my thing.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

Bethany Would you read the book? I'm on page 25 and I am not quite sucked in yet.

message 2: by Janell (new)

Janell P I'm listening to this as well. Got it off audible and it came highly recommended. I'm about half way through it. It's fine so far, some of the things the young Paloma says are intriguing in contrast to the older concierge. I guess I'm still figuring it out and it's definitely different listening to it than reading.

Audible says of Rosenblatt "lends an air of theatrical irony — an auditory raised eyebrow — to her descriptions of class blind spots and philosophical rabbit holes." I thought that meant it would be okay to fine and maybe even good. I don't mind her theatrics.

Thanks for your review. Your review caught my eye because you said you were listening to it.

Tracy Janell wrote: "I'm listening to this as well. Got it off audible and it came highly recommended. I'm about half way through it. It's fine so far, some of the things the young Paloma says are intriguing in contra..."

Thanks for your comments :) I haven't been able to force myself to go back to listening. I was really not enjoying it, to the point that listening to it was making me irritable. I really do want to understand what all the fuss is about though, so I have the physical book here now. I think I'll enjoy it more if I can skim through the slower bits, rather than hearing every word.

Let me know how you end up liking it!

message 4: by Janell (new)

Janell P Will do. Thanks for the note back. Unfortunately I put it down (ipod) and sort of lost track about a day ago. Will get back to it though.

message 5: by Jennie (new)

Jennie I was on a waiting list for six months to get the audio book from the library. I finally got it and started listening to it today. I only made it to the middle of the second disc before I couldn't stand it anymore. I think I really hate Paloma and Renee. Paloma needs to be on some kind of medication. She's a danger to herself and others. I kept hoping there would be some hint of irony, that these characters mirrored how they described the people around them. I wanted it to be about their lack of self-awareness. From the reviews I've read, it doesn't sound like the irony ever manifests itself. I get the impression that I was supposed to love and sympathize with these horrid wretches.

message 6: by Liesl (new)

Liesl I listened to it all, and although I liked the narrator all right, I found it tedious and pretentious at times. I thought it was very interesting from a cultural perspective, and it made me glad to be American. Given the same circumstances and her brilliance in school, Renee would have received scholarships and fellowships and probably become a professor of philosophy. Whether she would have been any happier, who is to say? I was glad when it was over, but I do not forget the book or the characters.

message 7: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie Hardin I, too, did this on audio and loathed it - until the end. I thought the ending was well done, but nonetheless I really did not like the book.

Shereen I started listening to it yesterday on a long commute. Got halfway through the first disc and had to call my husband just to vent. I am now part way through disc 2 and feel like I am being slowly tortured. The characters are wretched and I have no feelings of sympathy for them. I'm persevering because it's for book club and I'm the one who recently commented that I thought we should spend more time discussing the book. Why did I have to open my big mouth? I really don't have any desire to continue tormenting myself with this thing. Ugh.

Christine Shereen wrote: "I started listening to it yesterday on a long commute. Got halfway through the first disc and had to call my husband just to vent. I am now part way through disc 2 and feel like I am being slowly t..."

I'm on disc 2 and am already sick of it too. What horrible effete intellectual snobs these people are! I don't know if I'll ever make it to the end. At least I'm not reading it for my book club and have no responsibility to finish it!

message 10: by Maw (new) - rated it 1 star

Maw I read it like you - stopped at some point but couldn't resist to read the end to see if it got better or where it was headed and... was even more so disappointed.

Christine Maw wrote: "I read it like you - stopped at some point but couldn't resist to read the end to see if it got better or where it was headed and... was even more so disappointed."

I finally pushed through it to the end too. But it didn't seem to redeem itself by the end in my opinion. I really don't like intellectual snobbery.

message 12: by Maw (last edited Oct 16, 2012 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Maw Same here, Christine. It was sort of trying to make us feel stupid and uneducated. Look, she's a kid and she's smarter than you! Look, she's a concierge and she's smarter than you! (them being smarter than the reader wouldn't be a problem as such actually, it's just that the book is... showing off.)

message 13: by Jo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jo Maybe that's it / just "not my thing " .
Really , I tried to read it three times .