Mary Etta's Reviews > Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

Jul 14, 10

Read from May 06 to July 11, 2010

Polly's copy. In following my thoughts on the MT artist, Gennie DeWeese, I was reminded of she and her husband's connection with the book and author. I've intended to read the book, but never did. The route they drove is so familiar to me, I'm motivated once again. By the way the poster from Yellowstone Art Museum in my basement of the old chair at an open door to spring snow is Gennie's. She is still painting at 89 if the online info is correct.
-----
Deleted my former current read, "What Our Mothers Didn't . . .", in favor of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." The former really wasn't of interest after all. This on the other hand connects from the first paragraphs.
-----
Continued to be very interesting. There were places that became tedious in the continual philosophical deliberations, however, there was much depth prompting a lot of thought. One man's way of sorting out the difficulties of life, in his case his profession and passion. The parallel story of the author and his son brings a welcome change of pace as well as perhaps more lasting importance. The one story could not stand without the other. Powerful last two chapters well worth the work to get there. How often do you get that.

I'm tempted to get my own copy to transfer my dog-eared pages from Polly's paperback. No apologies for dog-earing but, I should read with a fresh pad of small sticky notes to tab pages/paragraphs. Lots of keepers here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth I have read Zen, and it is a very sad story. Pshew, that was a toughie.

Mary Etta Thanks for the warning. Its going to be a while till I get to it.

message 3: by Vicky (last edited Feb 12, 2010 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicky This is a book I revisit every 5 years or so and always get something more out of it. I didn't find it particularly sad, more full of insights on all sorts of things, but the father/son relationship is
a difficult one at times, especially knowing what happens to his son as an adult. And of course there are Pirsig's observations on MSU and his very short career as an MSU English teacher. In fact this was where I first heard of Bozeman.

Vicky Mary Etta
Glad you are reading this and I'll be very interested in your comments. It is such a deep book and offer so many levels and of course there is the Bozeman connection. Still a very relevant book.

Mary Etta Vicky, I sense what you are saying. Often I am in awe at the insights simply said. Likely, as you say there are deeper thoughts as well. I really am enjoying it and rather glad the book group book is a long wait.

message 6: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Hello Mary.. Cool... that you actually know some of the people in the book. I've read some very unflattering comments on this book. Its my favorite book anyway.. But I'm not a formal type.. academically. Philosophy.. (the love of wisdom)...Ehh...I don't know if there is one measure of Truth.. But I don't care that these 'experts'.. despise the book as well as the fools like me that liked it so much... Over years... in conversation an occasional person would say. 'What you just said sounds like something I read in.. Zen..... 'Have you read it.?'.. This happend several times over several years. Then about 4 yrs ago a woman that frequented a pizza place I had in the Adirondacks.. simply gave me a copy out of the blue.. and I recalled its title....At first.. it was awkward.. and I'd put it down...a week or so later.. Id pick it up again.. finally about the third time... it klicked...As If I found a friend I never had in reality..Again.. Philosophy can have many definitions but to me... the guys a genius and the book an act of generosity. Nature spoke through Pirsig in this book.

Vicky See my posting. I wish you could be here for this. If any of it is made available online I will let you know.

Mary Etta Vicky, I didn't find your "posting". Please send via email. I'm curious.