Elizabeth's Reviews > Generation A

Generation A by Douglas Coupland

Feb 17, 2010

bookshelves: fiction
Read from February 11 to 16, 2010

I wouldn't consider this Coupland's best, but I was drawn in immediately and stayed up past my bedtime several nights in a row in order to finish. It's been several years since I last read Generation X, which this book is supposed to parallel, so forgive me if I make (or miss) overly obvious comparisons between the two.

Oh fiction, how do I even talk about you anymore? I feel like Coupland's earlier work often focused on how our increasingly mediated and culture-saturated lives made us both isolated and connected. When I read Microserfs for the first time 13 years ago, this was a revelation. Now it seems passe - for both me and for the characters of Generation A. A mediated, culture-saturated life is a given.

What cannot be assumed any longer is real human connection, or the sense-making that takes place when stories are told. Just as in The Canterbury Tales or The Decameron or If On a Winter's Night a Traveler, story-telling is a major theme, a way of exploring the world, and of connection. At first it felt a little ridiculous, but by the end I was drawn in.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but that's sort of how Generation A made me feel - a little confused, a little connected, a little unsure of where my story fits with the rest of my world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Generation A.

02/11/2010 page 36