Natalia L's Reviews > Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly

Finding Serenity by Jane Espenson

F_50x66
Feb 18, 10

Read from February 11 to 18, 2010

I wish I could give Finding Serenity a 2.5.

It's not that I didn't enjoy reading this book; it's just that there were far too many essays that I found boring, tedious, unnecessarily lengthy, and/or irritating to read. That sounds worse than I mean it to.

I almost gave it a 3 due to Jewel Staite's essay on her favorite moments of each episode. I wish there were more essays that--like her's and a handful of others--made me want to re-watch the series immediately. I think that should be the aim of a collection of essays on a beloved series created for fans. For some reason (to make it seem "fair" or "impartial" perhaps?) essays which criticized Joss and Firefly were included, and I think that brought down the overall quality of the book.

I enjoyed the more conversational essays more than the highly philosophical or technical ones, but that's simply personal preference. That said, any essay which begins with "Consider Wash." (Michelle Sagara West's "More Than a Marriage of Convenience") had me at, well, "Consider Wash."

There's a wide range of essays here, but it's worth a read if only to find the few that will appeal to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Serenity.

02/11/2010 page 85