Katrina Burchett's Reviews > Someone To Love Me

Someone To Love Me by Anne Schraff

Feb 10, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, young-adult
Read in February, 2010

Cindy Gibson was a freshman at Bluford High with a poor attendance record. She didn’t care about going to school, she hated her mother’s boyfriend and she was tired of being left home alone. All she wanted was a close relationship with her mother, but Lori Gibson was a woman who cared more about keeping a man than spending quality time with her daughter. So Cindy found the attention she craved elsewhere. Her friends told her to stay away from the sweet-talking guy she was interested in but she ignored their warnings and gave Bobby Wallace a chance. He wasn’t the same person he used to be, after all. Or at least that was what he claimed. Cindy was happy to have a boyfriend and she did things she wouldn’t normally do to please him. But then the guy she believed had changed for the better showed his true self.
I felt for Cindy; especially when she kept trying to convince herself Bobby wasn’t who she knew he was. Sadly, she was so desperate for attention and affection that she ignored the warning signs of a potentially abusive relationship, and then made excuses for Bobby when he treated her badly. She had true friends in Jamee and Amberlynn but she didn’t seem to get that. I’m glad they didn’t let her attitude keep them from showing how much they cared about her.
I liked Mrs. Davis (aka Grandma Rose). She had wisdom and love for people in her community and she was there for Cindy when her mother wasn’t; speaking kind words to lift her spirits and giving her sound advice. Jamee was a real good friend who cared about education and wanted Cindy to succeed in life. Harold Davis was a nice young man, and that wasn’t a surprise since he was raised by his Grandma Rose. And Bobby Wallace? Sadly, he was his father’s son.
I noticed these cute little Bluford High novels in bookstores a while back and I’m glad I decided to buy this one. Someone to Love Me was a good story and it didn’t take much time to read it. Schraff sends messages about the importance of self-love (a lesson learned not only by teenage Cindy but her mother as well) and the dangers of drug use. There was also very little profanity and I really appreciated that - many young adult novels have way too much foul language.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone To Love Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by bjneary (new)

bjneary Katrina, our students love this series so much we have 3 copies of each novel. My reluctant readers will take one and then rush back for 3 or 4 more until they have read the whole series. I think they can really relate to the characters in Bluford High, and the font is larger, which makes it easier to read. My favorite is the Bully!

message 2: by Dashawn (new)

Dashawn Lomack I liked this book because it was teaching me to listen to my friends more, And not skip school, and be active with the clubs after school. and stand up for my self. and tell my mom about her boyfriend that i don't really like that much or the rest of my family but sometimes she doesn't listen...oh and my favorite book was someone to love me.