Emilee's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

May 03, 10

bookshelves: reviewed, own-arc, favorites, own-finished-copy
Recommended for: fans of Melissa Marr, Holly Black, Cassandra Clare, Maggie Stiefvater
Read from April 02 to 04, 2010 — I own a copy

Cross posted from my blog: http://penultimatepage.com/review-par...

Judging a book by the cover: Dark. Strong. Feminine. Eye-catching. Definitely what comes to mind when I think of Evie and her story.

My Thoughts:

I have been longing to read Paranormalcy since I first heard about, so naturally, I stalked my mailman when I found out I would be getting my very own copy.
Evie, the main character, is quite possibly the strongest heroine I have ever read. However, she is more than just strong. Evie is clever, sarcastic, hilarious, flirtatious, lovable, and altogether awesome!
Paranormalcy isn’s strictly about vampires or werewolves or faeries. Evie refuses to be put in a box labeled “YA Paranormal Romance”. I mean, how can you get a girl that has a pink, rhinestone taser into a box? I wouldn’t even try it. Let Evie, and Kiersten, be unique. They’re good at it. They’re the best.
Not only is Evie completely original, but so are the other characters, including the ultra-sexy love interest! Aside from some purposely cliche vampires, a few totally docile werewolves, and an evil faerie, Kiersten gives us some new paranormals to wrap our heads around. After seeing book after book of strictly one or the other, Paranormalcy is a breath of fresh air that seriously makes you think. All of Paranormalcy’s characters have lives of their own.
Of course, there is more to a story than fabulous characters. The settings in Paranormalcy are vivid and realistic. From the IPCA headquarters to international cities where Evie tracks paranormals to the faerie paths that take her there, you can perfectly visualize everywhere Evie takes you.
Normally, I can tell where a story is going, whether I guess the ending or just the next twist. It starts to get boring. I applaud Kiersten for keeping me guessing. Sure, I could guess a twist here, the effect of some action there, but multiple times, I was utterly stumped.
What we get with Paranormalcy is the perfect debut book and I only see this series getting better.
The Blurb:

Dark and sexy, flirtatious and fun. Paranormalcy is a extraordinarily unique debut that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

04/02/2010 page 60
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mitali (new) - added it

Mitali So jealous.

Brooke Wow, definitely jealous. So glad it's so good!

Dani I'm so fricken jealous right now my eyes have turned green in envy.

message 4: by Peace Love (new) - added it

Peace Love and Reviews You lucky girl!

Tayler I love paranormalcy! Love it! Makes me feel like I'm evie.