Jesse Bacon's Reviews > 2666

2666 by Roberto Bolaño

U 50x66
Feb 10, 10

bookshelves: anywherebuthere-worldliterature

I made it! Bolaño's epic is somewhat of an endurance test, it was originally supposed to be 5 separate interrelated works, all of them challenging on their own. The folks putting it together after his early death overruled him however. So we get it all in one almost 900 page book. But the payoff is you wouldn't necessarily slog through all 5, so you are buoyed on whichever is the most difficult.
For many this will be the "The Part About the Crimes" a long string of accounts of those unsolved murders I remember from Amnesty International reports in the mid-90's, interposed with some of the accused and some of those who try unsuccessfully (more or less sincerely) to catch the killer(s). It's amazing that he pulls off making them so readable, and in doing so does a great service to anyone trying to write about horrific human rights violations.
The others are woven around the crimes, "The Part about the Critics" is a bunch of acolytes of an author they will never meet, who we only do in the last section, which manages to be a sympathetic account of a Nazi soldier. Of course he does find a Jewish intellectual's journal in an empty house in a destroyed Jewish village. This spurs him into becoming his authorial self, an interrogation of how we are inspired by writing even as it is truly moving. So in the end, it worth the horrors, the challenges, and even the nagging sense that this is a bit unfinished, protestations by the posthumous compilers to the contrary.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2666.

message 1: by Maleka (new)

Maleka can i put it on the big blue marble blog?

Jesse Bacon Please do! Not my most coherent review (and I don't mention everyone of the book's sections but go right ahead.