Jace's Reviews > 52, Vol. 1

52, Vol. 1 by Geoff Johns

Feb 20, 10

bookshelves: comics
Read in February, 2010

DC's latest string of Crises events (Infinite, Countdown, and Final) have been pretty disappointing. I'm not sure how I missed out on 52 the first time around (I suspect that I was turned off by the prospect of buying 52 weekly issues), but I'm glad I came back for a second look.

What immediately appealed to me is that 52 focuses on smaller characters in the wake of Supes/Bats/WW's disappearance from the DC Universe. Characters like Booster Gold, Animal Man, and Ralph Dibney are some of my favorite DC personalities, so it was great to see them shine. I've also enjoyed meeting some new [to me at least...:] characters, namely Batwoman and Renee Montoya. It's a pretty fast paced book, and having so many alternate storylines all going at once makes for a pretty entertaining read.

Surprising as it may sound, although 52 is mired in the midst of DC crises, it feels pretty self-contained, like it's a world unto its own. I'm not sure how the book would read to someone totally unfamiliar with the DC pantheon, but I found it to be pretty accessible, even though I've long forgotten the outcomes of the past few DC Universe events. DC has made a lot of mistakes over the past few years, in my opinion, but they really got it right with 52.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 52, Vol. 1.