Marquetta's Reviews > Start Me Up

Start Me Up by Victoria Dahl

Feb 10, 2010

it was ok
Read from February 10 to 12, 2010

I would give this book 2.5 stars.

This is the second book in the Tumbler Creek series. We were briefly introduced to Lori Love, local mechanic, in the first book Talk Me Down. Lori's love (ha!) is non-existent. So non-existent that the folks of Tumbler Creek thinks that she's a lesbian. Lori inherited her father's car shop after he passed away. Being a mechanic and a tomboy doesn't have the men of Tumbler Creek knocking down her door. I loved Lori, at first. I can totally relate to the tomboy thing and not being into girly things - clothes, shoes, make-up. Lori decides that she needs to have a no-strings affair to end her sex drought. Then there's Quinn, the nerdy, absent-minded older brother of Lori's best friend, Molly. Of course, nothing goes as planned.

I enjoyed reading this book even though after awhile Lori got on my last nerve! She was always putting herself down, didn't believe Quinn when he told her she was beautiful (several times) and constantly got in her own way! Sheesh! The sex was hot and Molly provided some comic relief. I wish Lori had her epiphany a little earlier in the book because I was ready to put it down and be done with it. And I was a little disappointed with the ending. No HEA. The book wasn't tied up in a pretty little bow like most romances. There were no big declarations of...anything! With that said, I will be reading Dahl's next book Lead Me On which features Quinn's assistant, Jane.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Start Me Up.

02/10/2010 "Lori is kinda annoying in this one. Hope she gets over her issues soon."
02/12/2010 page 367
100.0% "Lori annoyed the hell out of me. And the side story regarding her dad was a bit much."